1 2 3 4 5 6 105 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2019 12:35 PM by Frederick Law Go to original post
      • 45. Re: Crusty Old Template File Gotcha
        Scott Stuart

Looks to me like you're using the original version of the macro, which only worked up to version 2016, and your file was created in either 2017 or 2018. Try the attached version of the macro. This one has been updated to work through version 2018.

• 46. Re: Crusty Old Template File Gotcha
          Dan Pihlaja

John Frahm , Mark Marston , anyone else....

To create brand new templates from scratch:

1. Go to your templates folder (defined here:
            1. And move (or delete - not recommended) all the templates from that folder to a separate folder
          2. Then restart Solidworks, and click File-->New
          3. Click the "Novice" button  (if it doesn't already bring you to the "novice" area.
          4. This should create 3 new templates
          5. Now take those templates and modify them to your heart's content.
          6. Now you have Brand new, shiny templates.
          • 47. Re: Crusty Old Template File Gotcha
            Peter De Vlieger

Let me see now, is it fair to state :

- not using the latest version of any template can cause serious issues

- using the tool provided by SW, namely Copy Settings Wizard, can also cause serious issues

- Neither of those facts get advertised, mentioned or in any way disseminated except by an obscure KB or this thread on the forum?

- even having a previous version of Solidworks on your system can cause issues

Combine this with other information out there  the rule seems to be that if one wants to be utterly and truly safe than each year:

1.      Check what hardware needs to be changed up to and including graphic card, screens ,workstation and OS and office products
            2. Before proceeding wiht the install however first make screenshots of each and every sub-sub-sub settings window of each and every template, and no, relying on screenshots of previous versions is not an option.
            3. One should then completely wipe all traces of Solidworks from the computer, up to and including a register clean if there was a previous release on it and other hands on cleaning up because the un-installer is of the usual windows quality which is to say that it leaves folders and data all over the place behind. Better still, just grab a new harddrive and install everything from scratch. After spending a few hours of setting up your windows and office and all the rest you could finally proceed to the next step.
            4. Install the newest version
            5. Remake each and every template file from scratch up to and including the document settings of all template files.Relying on the screenshots one took of the version that just got deleted because the program has no tool that can be relied upon to do it for you.
            6. Redo the system settings from scratch.Relying on the screenshots one took of the version that just got deleted because the program has no tool that can be relied upon to do it for you.This because importing previous settings could badly influence your brand new install.
            7. Rinse and repeat the following year

Are you >expletive deleted< >expletive deleted< >expletive deleted< >expletive deleted< >expletive deleted< >expletive deleted< >expletive deleted< kidding me !

Please, someone say it isn't so because if it is then there's really something seriously wrong with the mentality at SolidWorks Corp.

And no, this you can't pin on Dassault, this is purely SolidWorks Corp because if wasn't then it wouldn't have been there since forever.

• 48. Re: Crusty Old Template File Gotcha
              Matt Peneguy

Having been burned by the Copy Settings Wizard and having to do a "Clean" install, I am sympathetic.  I spent almost an entire day sorting through the uninstall and reinstall.  The go-by I had had different .Net names and after a lot of searching I was reasonably certain I could take the ones off I did.  Ya know I run other programs that depend on .Net.  Once I figured everything out, I could've cut that time down to a couple hours, max.  But, it was still a pain.

And I completely agree about the bit about this not being obvious or disclosed.  That is a HUGE issue.  For me to be able to corrupt my SW install with a tool that SW provides, is not acceptable.  There should be a lockout on the Copy Settings tool that doesn't allow you to copy settings that are 2 or 3 years older, or whatever number of years is.

• 49. Re: Crusty Old Template File Gotcha
                Paul Salvador

Hey Peter,

...yeah,.. I agree, this freaks me out.. and I'm curious and serious,.. do/will the users (especially past) now need to request/demand... a "integrity/compare" tools for old/new template files and copy settings???

otherwise,.. since it is Friday,.. "it isn't so"... open up a cold one and have a good weekend!

• 50. Re: Crusty Old Template File Gotcha
                  Peter De Vlieger

Paul,

Sounds like a good plan.

I should have a nice 'Grimbergen' laying ready for after dinner.

Cheers.

• 51. Re: Crusty Old Template File Gotcha
                    Dennis Dohogne

A year ago I posted this on this thread:

I'll take your suggestions a step further, Don.  If this is so important then SWX should include a tool for updating the templates.  If it is not adequate to just save the old template(s) in the new version then the tool should do whatever is necessary to assist us.  Even if the tool has to open the old template and copy the customizations to create a new one then so be it.

SWX is fantastic software and I have (mostly) enjoyed using it for 20+ years.  That said, it is really just a productivity tool.  The genius lies between our ears as we figure out what shapes to make to solve the design challenges we face.  Let me say it again, SWX is a productivity tool. Period!  The emphasis (by SWX Corporate) should always be on this software becoming an invaluable part of our resources - for our productivity.

If the old templates can cause ANY problems that can be avoided by making new versions of the templates then SWX MUST: a) inform us of this loudly and clearly, and b) provide a tool to make it painless to achieve.  I DO NOT think this is asking too much of SWX.  I think it is THE LEAST we should expect of them!!

I am reposting it because it is still true.  What is most disappointing to me is the lack of response from the folks at SWX that keep their finger on the pulse of this forum and occasionally give a terrific reply.  (All their replies are terrific, they are just occasional.)

I'm only going to tag Jim Wilkinson because I know him and trust him to get us a reply to this request.  Jim, please confirm or deny this issue with the templates.  If it is true then what is the best way to deal with this problem?  Is SWX planning a tool to make the solution easy to implement such as a conversion tool for templates?

• 52. Re: Crusty Old Template File Gotcha
                      Paul Salvador

.. monks are good people!

• 53. Re: Crusty Old Template File Gotcha
                        Paul Salvador

..meanwhile,. .in a parallel universe.. things are getting done..

0e89731651bd73d10117ac77b27d9638--parallel-universe-cat-cartoons.jpg

• 54. Re: Crusty Old Template File Gotcha
                          Steve Calvert

So when I've been through our upgrades we had skipped several versions and the structure of where these template files are stored changed so it forced me to do save as on the templates because I was making changes and additions.  We jumped from SW2004 to SW2006, SW2006 to SW2010 and then SW2010 to SW2015 and now we're going to jump from SW2015 to SW2018 and we're finally getting rid of Smarteam, yea!

I'll knock on wood again but I haven't had any troubles with templates or drawing files.

Steve C

• 55. Re: Crusty Old Template File Gotcha
                            Matt Peneguy

Steve Calvert,

If I remember right (I'd have to read all the way through the thread to be 100% sure), the types of problems you may experience are very quirky.  So, you are best off just creating new templates.  You may end up losing a lot of work because you don't discover there's a problem until you have a lot of parts, assemblies and drawings created.

• 56. Re: Crusty Old Template File Gotcha
                              Edward Poole

Steve Calvert Same here, have yet to run into any issues...so far!

• 57. Re: Crusty Old Template File Gotcha
                                Jim Sculley

Matt Peneguy wrote:

Steve Calvert,

If I remember right (I'd have to read all the way through the thread to be 100% sure), the types of problems you may experience are very quirky. 

And all over the map:

hole callout primary value

Why does Solidworks add the automatic border over sheet format?

What's up with this multi-body part?

• 58. Re: Crusty Old Template File Gotcha
                                  Jim Wilkinson

Dennis Dohogne wrote:

A year ago I posted this on this thread:

I'll take your suggestions a step further, Don. If this is so important then SWX should include a tool for updating the templates. If it is not adequate to just save the old template(s) in the new version then the tool should do whatever is necessary to assist us. Even if the tool has to open the old template and copy the customizations to create a new one then so be it.

SWX is fantastic software and I have (mostly) enjoyed using it for 20+ years. That said, it is really just a productivity tool. The genius lies between our ears as we figure out what shapes to make to solve the design challenges we face. Let me say it again, SWX is a productivity tool. Period! The emphasis (by SWX Corporate) should always be on this software becoming an invaluable part of our resources - for our productivity.

If the old templates can cause ANY problems that can be avoided by making new versions of the templates then SWX MUST: a) inform us of this loudly and clearly, and b) provide a tool to make it painless to achieve. I DO NOT think this is asking too much of SWX. I think it is THE LEAST we should expect of them!!

I am reposting it because it is still true. What is most disappointing to me is the lack of response from the folks at SWX that keep their finger on the pulse of this forum and occasionally give a terrific reply. (All their replies are terrific, they are just occasional.)

I'm only going to tag Jim Wilkinson because I know him and trust him to get us a reply to this request. Jim, please confirm or deny this issue with the templates. If it is true then what is the best way to deal with this problem? Is SWX planning a tool to make the solution easy to implement such as a conversion tool for templates?

The official word is that if templates are causing a problem, it is a bug and should be reported through technical support to be analyzed an SPR assigned. The same is true for registry settings carried forward via the Copy Settings Wizard or automatically when you start a new version of SOLIDWORKS and it copies your settings forward from your registry from an earlier version.

Creating new templates or wiping the registry to solve these types of problems is a workaround and often resellers recommend and users take this path so they can move forward without delay. That being said, the problematic templates or registry settings should still be saved and submitted so our technical support/development team are aware of the problem and can fix it. Unfortunately, that often doesn't happen so the problems persist; our development team can't fix what they don't know about or can't reproduce.

Creating a tool to create new templates without the problem would take the same knowledge of what exactly is wrong with the original templates, as it would to fix the bug(s) so the old templates just work. Template files are full part, assembly, or drawing files with all the document settings, file properties, features (including renaming or changing settings on the base planes/origins, or adding new features). So it's not like there is some definition of what data should be copied over and what should not; such information cannot be separated at that level. And if we were aware of what is causing the problem, we'd just fix the problems and make the original templates work, eliminating the need for a tool to create new templates.

The Knowledge Base article referred to in this thread will be reviewed and updated by our technical support team to better reflect this information that I have mentioned above because the wording is such that the above is not clear.

Thanks,

Jim

• 59. Re: Crusty Old Template File Gotcha
                                    Dennis Dohogne

Thanks, Jim.  That's the kind of clarity I was hoping for.  As always, your contributions are much appreciated.

1 2 3 4 5 6