AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do you manage outdated parts?

Question asked by Alex Lachance on May 1, 2018
Latest reply on May 1, 2018 by Kevin Chandler

We're currently going through the process of standardizing materials and removing duplicates from our system. It got me to the question, have you gone through a similar process? What was the method you used?

What we're doing is removing specific types of steel from our inventory to replace them with a stronger equivalent that costs about the same. Some parts were made in both of those materials so one has to become inactive. We don't always have the time to go through several drawings to replace the part everywhere. What I had in mind is to identify the duplicates with a stamp on the drawing that says something around the line of ''OUTDATED, REPLACE WITH #####(part number)''

I was also wondering if there would be something similar for part/assembly models, or just a quick way to identify outdated/duplicated parts. The stamp on the drawing was something I had in mind but on the part/assembly level, I've had bad experiences with floating notes. Are there other ways to do something similar..?

Outcomes