51 52 53 54 55 Next Last 820 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2018 7:00 AM by Jim Wilkinson Go to original post
      • 810. Re: What *Minor* Bug in SOLIDWORKS Drives You Crazy
        Jim Steinmeyer

Daen Hendrickson wrote:

I am using SW2014 SP5.

While trying to resize a plane by clicking and then dragging the displayed grab handles, you cannot get the "double arrow" mouse pointer (indicating resize) when you hover over a grab handle while the pop-up shortcut toolbar is visible (sorry, can't recall the proper name). You must first click elsewhere to extinguish the pop-up (or press esc, ctrl, or alt or ???). Maybe not expressly a "bug" but certainly an unnecessary extra click.

I tried to get a screen capture but failed. Any other clicks, Alt-Tab to switch to a different application, Ctrl-Print Screen, etc causes the condition on screen to go away...

Daen

I would add that I would like the "Autosize" command with planes other than the first 3.

• 811. Re: What *Minor* Bug in SOLIDWORKS Drives You Crazy
          Jim Wilkinson

Jim Steinmeyer wrote:

I would add that I would like the "Autosize" command with planes other than the first 3.

Hi Jim,

All planes do autosize by default. However, user created planes don't resize to the bounding box of the model (like the default planes), but rather to the geometry that created the plane. For instance, create a plane using 3 points and the plane will be sized based on the location of the 3 points (slightly larger than a rectangle bounding the 3 points). Drag to resize that plane you just made and then right mouse button on the plane and you can select Autosize and it will go back to being sized based on the 3 points. If the model changes such that the 3 points move, the plane will resize to the new position of the 3 points.

Perhaps you want an option to autosize user created planes to the model bounding box instead? If so, I would suggest submitting an enhancement request.

Thanks,

Jim

• 812. Re: What *Minor* Bug in SOLIDWORKS Drives You Crazy
            Jim Steinmeyer

Jim Wilkinson

Yes you are correct, I would like it to size to the bounding box. But I did learn something new, I was unaware you could Autosize it back to the size it started at.

Thank you

• 813. Re: What *Minor* Bug in SOLIDWORKS Drives You Crazy
              Rob Edwards

In Extrude Features using a 'From' offset

This is a minor annoyance I always forget about... the dimension placement breaks when you edit a dimension.

From my brief test if you edit the feature the dims return to the correct spot

SW16 SP5

edit: the draught angle doesn't care either way

• 814. Re: What *Minor* Bug in SOLIDWORKS Drives You Crazy
                Matt Peneguy

I consider this a bug:

The above just means 4 x 3/4" THRU!

It should not be possible to specify a slot length that is smaller than the hole!  I was terribly confused when I opened a part with a slot like this:

Is this a known thing, anyone know of an SPR on this?

• 815. Re: What *Minor* Bug in SOLIDWORKS Drives You Crazy
                  Colt Carson

When creating custom views for a drawing I often run into the problem where the orientation tool does not give the expected result.

ISO1.JPG

The the view normal direction is correct but the view is rotated by 30 degrees.

RESULT.JPG

• 816. Re: What *Minor* Bug in SOLIDWORKS Drives You Crazy
                    David Matula

so that is the bug?

# 1 learn to update and rest the standard views... than your problems will tend to go away.

#2 there if very little reason to have to create any custom view for a simple part the top front and right views should be more than enough for the part that you shown.

#3 start the part on the right plane will lead to better times on the drawing,

• 817. Re: What *Minor* Bug in SOLIDWORKS Drives You Crazy
                      Dennis Dohogne

David Matula wrote:

David, I never heard of such a thing.  What supports this comment?

• 818. Re: What *Minor* Bug in SOLIDWORKS Drives You Crazy
                        Colt Carson

I appreciate you suggestions and have done such things as updating the standard views to get the views I want. The displayed part was just used to show the problem. Sometimes in a very complex assembly we need to show many iso views from more than just one angle to clarify the assembly process.  Also they asked for simple bugs, this one that I encounter relativity often should be easy for an intern to address.

• 819. Re: What *Minor* Bug in SOLIDWORKS Drives You Crazy
                          John Stoltzfus

Dennis Dohogne wrote:

David Matula wrote:

David, I never heard of such a thing. What supports this comment?

Zero, Zero, Zero - 0,0,0 -

• 820. Re: What *Minor* Bug in SOLIDWORKS Drives You Crazy
                            Jim Wilkinson

Colt Carson wrote:

Also they asked for simple bugs, this one that I encounter relativity often should be easy for an intern to address.

I just want to make clear that this thread was started by a user, not by SOLIDWORKS. So it is not a thread for officially reporting problems to SOLIDWORKS. For that, you need to use your regular support channel (which for most users is their reseller).

I am going to lock this thread because:

1. It is giving the false impression to users that this is where they should report minor problems.
                            2. The thread is so long and unwieldy, it is impossible to find anything in it and very difficult to follow.

If users want to report problems in the forum to get other users to suggest workarounds or something like that, it is important to post each item as a separate thread in the "space" in the forum specific to the problem being reported. That way, both users and SOLIDWORKS employees who monitor the different spaces of the forum because they are experts in that area will see it rather than it being buried in the General section in a 55 page thread.

Thanks,

Jim

• 821. Re: What *Minor* Bug in SOLIDWORKS Drives You Crazy
                              Jim Wilkinson

John Pesaturo wrote:

More of an annoyance than a bug but all the same ...

It makes me nuts how the cursor/pointer jumps off of the origin when trying to drop a part on the Origin in an assembly.

SW2017 SP 2.0

Hi John,

This problem has been fixed in SOLIDWORKS 2018 SP02.

Thanks,

Jim

• 822. Re: What *Minor* Bug in SOLIDWORKS Drives You Crazy
                                Jim Wilkinson

1-9DBF56 wrote:

Jim Steinmeyer wrote:

Jim,

Actually, my problem is more along the lines that SW forgets that I have selected the first quadrent. I pick a radius while holding the shift and the whole radius highlights for a second or two. Often by the time I get to the second radius the first is no longer highlighted so when I select the second it is just like I am starting over. As John Stoltzfus has said many times it may be that I am doing something wrong, So I will try it again a few times today and see if it works better if I am more deliberate in my selections.

Thank you

Hi Jim,

Sorry about the delay. I was out of the office quite a bit and needed to test older versions in the office to fully test this. It is logged as SPR# 955110 and this link should go to it in the Knowledge Base:

https://customerportal.solidworks.com/eservice_enu/start.swe?SWECmd=InvokeMethod&SWEMethod=GotoRecord&SWEService=SWGotoR…

If any users are facing issues using shift dimension to dimension between arc extents and the first selection "randomly" dropping before you can pick the second one, please either select the option it the KB to indicate you want to be notified when it is fixed or contact your reseller and ask them to attach you to the SPR.

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Everyone,

This problem of dimension in drawings while using the shift key randomly dropping the first selection which was logged as SPR# 955110 is fixed in SOLIDWORKS 2018 SP02.

Thanks,

Jim

51 52 53 54 55 Next Last