8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2018 12:44 PM by Stephen Barnes

No Visual Studio template information found

Todd Bartelt
      Since installing SP2.1 on SW 2009 today, I am getting the following error when I try to record a VSTA (VB) macro:

"No Visual Studio template information found. See the application log in Event Viewer for more details.
      To open Event Viewer, click Start, click Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Event Viewer."

I installed the service pack with an administrator account, and I do not get the error when running SW under that account, but under my regular, non-admin account, I get that error. It seems to be permissions issue, but I'm not sure how to fix it.

I am running Visual Studio Express 2005.

• No Visual Studio template information found
          Douglas Mangels
          I also have 2009 SP2.1 installed and am having similar/same problems.
          I have the same event in event viewer and even tried to followed the instructions to run "vsta /installvstemplates".

I try to record a macro or create a new SW VSTA VB Macro and VSTA opens w/ nothing.
          I also noticed if you try to create a new project no templates show up.
          Screen shots attached.

I was just about to learn how to use the API and VB, so let me know if this is how it is a supposed to function. haha.
          • No Visual Studio template information found
            Douglas Mangels
            got it working on xp 64bit.
            the obvious solution was just to point vsta to find the "default" templates where the user templates are.

1. run vsta.exe from the cmd prompt.
            2. Select Tools -> Options -> Projects and Solutions
            3. Change the location of the project templates to:
            C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates
            4. Change the location of the user item templates to:
            C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\VSTA\ItemTemplates

If anyone has a more elegant solution, please let us know.

Edit: Sorry this was on a xp 64bit system with 2009 sp0, but it was getting the same error and this fixed it.
            I'm still getting the error on xp 32bit 2009 sp2.1 even after doing the above.
            • Re: No Visual Studio template information found
              jason van clark

I know this is a reply to an old thread, but perhaps I can help a bit

I had this problem and I finally figured out how to get around it.  Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

I had to copy all of the folders in this: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates

To a newly created folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\VSTA\ItemTemplates

I then created a new macro with the visual basic format and had to wait a long time for vsta to setup.  It even crashed on me a few times.  What the heck SWX?!  this shouldn't be this hard!

• Re: No Visual Studio template information found
                Colin Poushay

In case anyone is looking at this years later, I had the same issue. My fix was to simply run Solidworks as administrator, and then it worked. Hope this helps someone