AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to cut saddle joint end of nozzle pipe for weld grind?

Question asked by Scott Friday on Sep 20, 2017
Latest reply on Sep 23, 2017 by Scott Friday

I have a pipe that comes out of a head perpendicular to the header, a basic T configuration. I am trying to model the weld for that saddle joint. It requires that the end of the pipe have a 45 degree bevel all the way around, starting with the inside face of the pipe and opening toward the outside face of the pipe. I have tried all manner of swept cuts and just can't seem to figure it out. I can't figure out how I might do it with a loft cut. I am still pretty new to Soldiworks. I have attached the 14" pipe part file. In the lower right corner is a sketch of a line showing the cut profile. I realize it is not a closed profile, I am just trying to show the angle/shape of the cut. After the cut, I don't want any material left below the line anywhere around the saddle joint. So the cut needs to follow the inside edge of the pipe.

Once I get the cut, how do I model the actual weld? It is supposed to have the 45 bevel through the pipe wall and then a 3/8 fillet from the outside of the pipe wall down to the O.D. of the header pipe. I assume it would have to be some kind of lofted boss?

Outcomes