AnsweredAssumed Answered

extrude with draft from an edge

Question asked by Kevin Quigley on Sep 25, 2008
Latest reply on Sep 30, 2008 by Kevin Quigley
A lot of the time when modelling you need to define a split line and draft from it by a specific value. Having just spent the last 4 days modelling (sorry remodelling) a speculum for a customer after they changed the way the part is set up on the tool I could use vast improvements in draft functionality.

Part design is designed around a specific tool plane (say vertical). For reasons I will keep under wraps, we changed the orientation of the part to sit 30 degrees off vertical in the mould, so, all the draft directions have to change - major job!

Currently SW can draft from a plane or a split line that, well splits the part. It cannot create a split line on a part or surface edge. What we actually need most of the time is the ability to draft from an edge, or a 3D surface (think of a tool mating surface).

As a workaround I frequently have to resort to sweeping a cutting surface along an edge, or creating a drafted extruded surface from a 3D sketch. It can be done!

So my top request here would be:

Draft tool - new option, draft from edge, or draft from 3D surface.

What I really want is the ability to specify a draft angle and a specific edge selection and tool pull direction and have the software reshape the parts that fall outside this minimum draft.

Think3 did this something like this in 2001 with Global Shape Modelling and it worked OK - just the rest of the application fell short

Outcomes