11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2019 11:01 PM by Anand Ramalingam

Enovia who's used it?

S. Casale

Enovia who's used it?

Feedback on it is appreciated.

Message was edited by: S. Casale 11.14.2018

• Re: Enovia who's used it?
          Jon Dawe

Have been using the Enovia based "SW 3D Experience - Conceptual Designer" for the past month or so and absolutely hate it so far.

Filled with bugs and crashes, network errors and update lags. User interface is a nightmare. Good luck trying to find and or organize your files or "products".

Other than that it's great.

jdmech

S. Casale

Interesting.

Thanks!

I've used Enovia with NX (customized up the wazooo), there were major problems, besides the network issues and the fact that Enovia wasn't designed to work with NX.

Otherwise, I thought Enovia had a lot - a lot of potential.

Joe Kidd

Thanks for posting this Scott. We are about to make a decision to move to Enovia and use their SolidWorks Connector (Designer Central) or keep our Enterprise PDM and have the VAR configure some limited connection to it. I'm very concerned on how SolidWorks will perform when using Designer Central. I'd like to know how many companies are actually using it as well.

Adam Sherman

I've been trying to use it for the past several months.  We migrated over our document control system which was effectively an electronic paper based PDF + MS SharePoint and has now gone fully to Enovia for archive, revision control and approval management etc.   I've more recently been using it for the CAD SLDPRT & SLDDRW vaulting.    I am not sure if it is the core program or the business unit configuration that we received but it is the most cumbersome buggy piece of junk software I have ever used in my life.  I have used Pro-Intralink and Agile before but this Enovia garbage boggles my mind.  I will chase various errors, crashes, kill-Enovia.bat files, re-boots and so on just trying to get a few files into the vault. Seriously hours to days for say a dozen files.   I dread every moment using it.  It is non-intuitive, slow and completely frustrating.  I believe it offers more robust PLM style functionality that is probably lacking in more basic PDM but Workgroup PDM for vaulting was an absolute dream compared to using this buggy Enovia discharge.   I am not alone at our facility as far as my impression.  Our productivity has been seriously diminished by its implementation at our facility. 

I have a long list of foul language I would love to use but let's keep this post family friendly.  I am sure there is good software out there for PLM.  Enovia is not it.

S. Casale

My experience is that of it being used with NX and that wasn't good either.

I think in theory the software would be amazing. But, my observation was that it was awfully buggy and clearly written by a varying array of programmers with very different understanding of the final result and/or intended use. Junk is agreed.

S. Casale

Steven Mills Just noticed you posted on the forums about Enovia. Still interested in folks feedback about the PLM tool.

Steven Mills

Can say much yet, still getting to know it. I used SW PDM before and I think my skills will cross over.

S. Casale

Steven Mills wrote:

Can say much yet, still getting to know it. I used SW PDM before and I think my skills will cross over.

At your leisure-of course, It's been years since I've used it, but am curious to know how it's fared since.

Adam Sherman

Steven,  this has been a recent topic for us.  Above I was pretty critical of 2013 Enovia but after some recent discovery, I see now that our company had not invested in the BOM management module which effectively hampered doing anything with the data that took so much effort to enter into the system. We never bought the 3D Experience Engineering Bill Of Management (BOM) module.  We have been using the 2013 version Enovia which is dated and incomplete as we did not have the BOM module.  More than likely we poorly implemented this as far as customization so the out of the box version may be more straightforward.  Having a back-end to a database does little good if you are not implementing a front-end access to share and access the data.   We received a brochure yesterday and the 2018 3DExperience does seem fully featured but we've not yet used it.   Overall I like the Dassault product of Solidworks and I am eager to try out the BOM management once we get it loaded. 

Your VAR might be able to get you a trial copy.  This Dassault package requires customization so think about how you do your product approval process to ensure you are able to guide the 3D experience customization properly i.e. what is your approval routing?  Has everyone bought in before you approve the changes?  When does your change control board meet to discuss the changes?  Do you do Engineering Change Requests in addition or just ECO's.  Etc.    We were fed up and considering Arena which looks extremely powerful when you are not used to seeing a BOM management interface but this only operates as a one-way tool.  - You get your data into Arena and there it stays for its life.  The Dassault suite allows bi-directional live updates to the communal data  which may offer more advantages.   Arena is fully customizable out of the box without any coding which may be appealing if you do not have a programming staff. However, it manages the data you feed it but it is not really setup to manipulate that data in Arena and then feed it back into your model assemblies.  (one way)

I can provide an update in a few months but not today. - Sorry.

Adam

Joe Kidd

Well here it is almost 1 year later since I posted. We still haven't launched the 3DExperience Connector for SolidWorks. We do have a directive to use the Connector and abandon PDM Pro. Configuring the Connector has been a painful experience and it requires a lot of configuration using MQL. There isn't an Admin tool like PDM Pro. Figuring out how to migrate our Workgroup PDM data into Enovia is another challenging task. There really isn't much support from the Dassault side.

Anand Ramalingam

Would like to share my experience as an EPDM admin and developer from conisio age (2006 to 2012) and Enovia CAD (Solidworks and AutoCAD) integration module owner and now as a Solution architect. I’m not a promoter of Enovia , this post is my own experience and view.

I agree the pain point you guys have listed out , we too had a challenging time over 2009 to 2016 (we have been using Matrix 10x, Enovia V6R2012x and currently 3DExpereince V6R2015x) as an IT guy. I have implemented Enovia with Solidworks & AutoCAD for 4 big centers in our company in different location across globe.

10x version, year 2009 (Only Designer central, solidworks file management like PDM) is more instable had lot of product bugs example crash, performance problem, solidworks few features are not supported ,etc.

The entity we have implemented does not used any PDM\PDM system at the moment but I had a good experience SEPDM, so I was really frustrated the integration between Enovia and Solidworks. Create many many tickets to DS and resolved most of the issues and come to workable situation after 1 year. It’s not real fix kind of band aid (workaround) fix of most of the issues.

12x version, year 2011 (Designer central and Engineering central, PDM with EBOM sync.) this was more extended to other entity. This time DS come up with a big paradigm shift over 10x where the Solidworks V6 integration was more like SEPDM user interface. We had bit stable in terms data management side but had more challenges in 10x to 12x due to data model changes, also again performance problem (could not check-in files which are bigger in size, say around ). The entity we try to roll out had good experience with smart team, so had challenges in change management perspective (More work to designer to do solidworks and EBOM).

15x Version , year 2015 (Designer central and Engineering central, PDM with EBOM sync.) this upgrade is more technical upgrade and also to fix the outstanding performance problem. Still continues same SEPDM user interface. While evaluate 15x as an IT side , I faced lot of crashes for the same data which was already working in 12x also had issues in EBOM sync and few solidworks special features support in Enovia. Had again big trouble with bugs and finally resolved all the critical issues and went live after 8 months of timeframe !!!!.

Form user perspective this implementation does not pull them out, which was very smooth. We have expanded Enovia to other 2 big entities and 3 small entities.

Bottom line:

1.Enovia comes up which more option in OOTB, it will work as you want. So setting up the basic GCO of both data management and EBOM management is very vital.

2.Understand business process and setup the system, UI, access and rights, configuring data cards, naming concept, etc.

3.Training and change management is key.