1 2 3 First Previous 183 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2018 10:15 PM by Alin Vargatu

SolidWorks Art Work - By Request

John Stoltzfus

In the now famous "Give me your points" Contest  thread Kelvin Lamport asked me to explain the process of creating abstract art using SW

Former SW CEO Bertrand Sicot and former VP of Product Marketing & Management Fielder Hiss - Holding a print (His & Hers) that I sent to them in the summer of 2012

The following images were all created using SolidWorks as the drawing tool - These are not renderings, just screen shots saved as a high res jpeg

Waves -

In Another World -

The Straw That Broke The Camels Back -

Water Lillie's -

Inner Feelings -

In recognition of finding a "New" or different approach using SW, SW Corp gave me and my wife an all paid trip to Orlando, FL for SWW 2013 - still grateful for that experience...

To see a slight blurb watch - (Bertrand mentions and shows the art at about the 19 min mark)

Of course using SW you need to start with a part and that part can be anything from a Car Tire to just weird shapes and the trick is to add additional cuts (spline) and then make some surfaces transparent and some not ect, the more surfaces I had the more color I could put in, like I used Split Line Curve Feature a lot, draw weird shapes and do the split line then insert a picture, could be any picture, then I adjusted the lighting and transparency to get the color combination of what I wanted.  Then I would take that part and insert it into an assembly, sometimes multiple times, then I would create different planes so I could insert lines which I used for circular patterns and depending on the line angles and the amount of pattern instances creates an entirely different view.

The other thing I did a lot was create the pattern and then apply a cut in the assembly level and it depended a lot where the cut was made to what effect it could have to the final image.

One part can literally create hundreds of images using a single part, by creating linear or circular patterns....

1 2 3 First Previous