39 40 41 42 43 1,042 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2016 2:39 PM by David Tiefenbrunn Go to original post
      • 600. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
        John Grimm

Danial,

This change was by design, in fact many customers have requested that certain functions cease to operate after a random period of time. This was something the design team felt needed to change because software instability had not been altered for the past 7 years.  You need to get with the times and realize that SW is evolving to be more in line bug wise with other popular consumer programs...like Quicken.  /sarcasm

• 601. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
          Danial Jones

Dear John,

OMG was that the funniest thing I heard all day! I actually laughed out loud! THANK YOU! I needed that...

Glen and Robert, I am not using a Cordless keyboard, and yes I tried full system restart, and yes I had the problem happen for now a 3rd time after said restart.

thanks,

Danial

• 602. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
            Kevin Berni

Hi everyone,

We wanted to check-in as 2016 SP2 is available for download today:  The same plan outlined in Tom's earlier post Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface  remains.  2016 SP2 will provide improvements in terms of the text and the Dark theme.  The bigger changes which include improved visible and hidden states in the FeatureManager Tree, background color, and an option for colorful icons for the most frequent and visible modeling features (solids, surfaces, sheet metal, weldments) are scheduled for 2016 SP3.  SP3 is currently scheduled for late March for EV and mid-April for the official full release. Please note that, as usual, service pack release dates are subject to change based on QA testing and user critical issues which may arise.

We will continue to provide updates as things progress.

For an update on changes in SOLIDWORKS 2016 SP03 for the user interface, see March 23 update: Update on the SOLIDWORKS 2016 SP03 UI changes

• 604. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
              Jim Steinmeyer

Thank you for the update.

• 605. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
                Worth Berry

Has the red color been reapplied to the "X" on the delete command when pressing the RMB in the full version of SP2? It was there in SP1, but changed in SP2 EV. I know that the actual "X" icon also changed. I just want the red back!

• 606. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
                  Christopher Sudlik

Hey, I've noticed that in 2016 in assembly mode, placing parts pushes them further into the screen. like way further. If I'm adding 5 bolts all at once, by the time I hit number 5, even though it looks like it is right next to the other 4, it is like 35 ft. behind them, spreading exponentially with each component added. I don't know where that broke but it would be cool to see that stop happening.

I do love the new main screen dark background instead of white and it is definitely improving a lot over SP1, way easier on the eyes than the vision-destroying light version, but I look forward to color customization. Given what others have done here with simply editing the DLL, you'd think just adding it to the customization system options for colors would be a pretty quick fix, col1, col2 for the white and blue icon parts.

• 607. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
                    Ted Neff

Yes, every few days I have that happen.

• 608. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
                      Chris Clouser
                      Download Error
                      Installation files could not be downloaded because: Internal Error: CoCreateInstance({652E77B7-69AA-491B-8C64-25B79239863F}) FAILED. If the problem persists, a proxy server might be preventing automatic downloads. Choose the option to download files manually instead.

For more information on download errors, visit the Customer Portal.

• 609. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
                        Adrian Velazquez

Well, I know I said I could work with the FM closed.... but this might be a bit too much:

Untitled.png

This on from a Fresh Install of SP2.0 on Win10 (and I know the Surface Pro 4 is not "supported"... but common!)

• 610. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
                          Kevin Berni

Hi Adrian

What settings do you have for Windows Scaling?  Right click on the desktop, click Display Settings and it should be under "Change the size of text, apps, and other items:"  Did you have the same setup for SP1 on the same Surface Pro 4?

• 611. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
                            Jim Wilkinson

Post edited for clarity:

This post is in response to Chris' statement of:

"Given what others have done here with simply editing the DLL, you'd think just adding it to the customization system options for colors would be a pretty quick fix, col1, col2 for the white and blue icon parts."

I want to give some technical detail of how it is implemented to clear up this particular confusion and other confusions on this thread that :

• Wonder why this cannot be implemented overnight.
                            • Ask for options to control the "two colors" in the icons.
                            • That the use of vector icons will allow infinite scaling to any size and allow dynamic control of the coloring of the icons.

Here are some details on how the icons work:

The source files for creating the icons ARE vector format, but vector format is not used in the software itself to display the icons. There are no really good supported vector formats for use in software and they don't scale well down to small sizes. Even Apple's "Dock" at the bottom of the screen which dynamically scales the icons as you move over them doesn't use vector format. It uses different size PNGs and scales between the sizes to give the illusion of dynamic sizing of one image. For SOLIDWORKS, the vector source files are used to create raster images in 6 different sizes for each icon in SOLIDWORKS and that is what is in the SOLIDWORKS code. From the 6 sizes, the SOLIDWORKS software chooses an appropriate size to display based on a combination of the user setting of small, medium, or large icons, the operating system DPI/text scaling factor, and where it is shown in the interface. The conversion from vector to raster is not a straightforward export; in many cases, each individual image, especially at the small sizes, has to be tweaked pixel by pixel to look good. Each icon is like a little painting with an artist behind the scenes creating it (with initial creation automation due to them being based on vector graphics).

You have seen that some individuals have "hacked" the DLL to change a couple of icons, but to do this change properly and support all users with different icon sizes and DPI resolutions, hundreds of icons needs to be recolored and recreated (and tweaked) at 6 different sizes. I would not recommend hacking the DLL because each individual would have to go through the work of modifying hundreds of icons. If you do, certainly do not give it to anyone else since that breaks the EULA as someone posted earlier. This type of change can cause other problems such as display issues in the UI, potential instability, and it will certainly break the installer/uninstaller and service pack upgrade processes.

We had to change the software to support higher resolution displays and higher DPIs. We have many users that are already using them and complaining about SOLIDWORKS 2015 and previous versions on these monitors/devices. In the future, probably every user will be using such monitors and devices (there are already 8k monitors slated to be delivered in the future). As previously stated, all of these changes to support higher DPI and resolutions made it such that we had to redo all of the icons to support scaling so we can't just reuse the ones in SOLIDWORKS 2015 as a fix to this issue.

As Kevin just posted yesterday, we are still on track for delivering an option for colorful icons for the most frequent and visible modeling features (solids, surfaces, sheet metal, weldments) for SP03.

But, again this is not as simple as providing settings in the UI to choose two colors which will dynamically affect the appearance of the icons, so don't expect to see that level of customization any time in the near future. Unfortunately, vector icon usage within software is not a viable solution at this point; the technology is simply not there to do it. At this time, there is no viable solution to dynamically allow changing of icon colors. Perhaps in the future that technology will exist and if users demand it, we can look into implementing it. However, for now, we hope that users will be satisfied with the choices of icons we provide in SOLIDWORKS 2016 SP03.

Thanks,

Jim

• 612. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
                              John Grimm

Over 600 posts on this topic, not counting the deleted ones, and these are the kind of responses customers are getting? 

I'm sorry our request is so much work, perhaps you guys should not have messed with the UI in the first place?  I can not even imagine one of my employees emailing a customer whining about how tough his part is to make, and then telling him "so don't expect to see that level of customization any time in the future."

Someone in management needs to pick up the phone to try and salvage this mess.

• 613. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
                                Ted Neff

Waaah, the job is really hard (cue violin). With the milliions of dollars, pounds, euros etc. that your customers (that would be us, since you don't seem to grasp that) send you every year, you have plenty to take a few of them and fix the horrible screw-up you perpetrated. I don't care if it is hundreds of files, you created hundreds of bad files, so now you get to fix them.

I had to laugh at: I would not recommend hacking the DLL and if you do, certainly do not give it to anyone else since that breaks the EULA (as someone posted earlier) and it can cause other problems such as display issues in the UI, potential instability, and it will certainly break the installer/uninstaller and service pack upgrade processes. That's how it usually works, so, if we hack the dll it should operate pretty much the same as if we don't?

Still on track for colorful icons for the most frequent and visible modeling features? I want to be able to tell if my components are resolved, hidden or suppressed at a glance from the feature tree. I don't just want a little color splashed around the screen. The problem isn't that I don't like grey, it is that I no longer can discern the state of the object.

You guys really don't get it do you?

• 614. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
                                  Christopher Sudlik

Good god that sounds like the kind of fix my buddies and I would come up with programming in high school because we didn't know better yet, not the programming that should be happening at an enormous firm that goes into software that costs thousands of dollars. I suppose the code is completely mixed up across all parts of the program and uses very little in the way of modularity, or agile practices.

When I worked on the code of an old isometric mmorpg that was volunteer work such practices weren't accepted and laughed at. I suppose the awful state of the source is why any bug fix makes twenty new bugs.

39 40 41 42 43