29 30 31 32 33 1,042 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2016 2:39 PM by David Tiefenbrunn Go to original post
      • 450. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
        Ronald van Til

The tip with the 'Hide all types' behind a keyboard shortcut is brilliant! Stupid that I never thought about it though..... :-)

It's a bit of a shame that the 'Hide all types' button is not in the heads up flyout, that would be a nice SR I think and would have made the 'Hide/show' button in the Heads up toolbar useable. On a sidenote; the tooltip for the 'Hide/show items' button in the Heads up toolbar is wrong when the 'Hide all types' is active.

• 451. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
          Stephen Hudson

I use Hide All Types CONSTANTLY. Put it in a mouse gesture. Simply hold down a mouse button and swipe. Done. Turns all types on and off in an instant.

• 452. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
            Al Griego

It looks like another post got deleted as well. I received an email notification on a post in this forum, and when I clicked on it, it comes up

Not Found

The item does not exist. It may have been deleted.

Seriously, killing posts like this is not helping.

• 453. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
              Jim Wilkinson

Ronald van Til wrote:

It's a bit of a shame that the 'Hide all types' button is not in the heads up flyout, that would be a nice SR I think and would have made the 'Hide/show' button in the Heads up toolbar useable. On a sidenote; the tooltip for the 'Hide/show items' button in the Heads up toolbar is wrong when the 'Hide all types' is active.

We are already working on this for SOLIDWORKS 2017. As can be seen in the images below, the flyout is now a split flyout where the icon portion of the button performs Hide All Types and the flyout arrow portion gives you access to the rest (and the tooltip issue will be fixed; it is partially fixed below but should also be showing the long description in the top image).

HideAllTypes.png

HideAllItems2.png

Thanks,

Jim

• 454. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
                Christopher Wyrick

Mods,

Deleting post and/or links will not help to quell dissent from those who are not satisfied with the visual aspects of 2016 nor stop those intent on either switching modeling packages or modifying 2016 themselves to suit their tastes.

Rather than deleting posts, perhaps answering the post with an update detailing how quickly and adequately you will address the issues would be better for DS and your customers.

• 455. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
                  Paul Hickman

Have you actually read the first post?

To be honest, if someone posted up on my forum how to hack my software which I have to support, I'd probably delete it too.  I think SolidWorks/DS are well within their rights to remove such content from an official forum.  There's plenty of other non-official forums where folks can post up these hacks.

• 456. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
                    Christopher Wyrick

Of course they have the "right" to remove whatever post they choose.  The website belongs to DS and they can do whatever they want with it.  Their right to do what they want with their website isn't the issue.  My comment was that it was not wise to delete posts nor was it going to help them encourage those of us who are having to struggle with this horrible new UI/color scheme from either switching packages or modding the software ourselves to suit our needs.

"We know that some of you are not happy with the SOLIDWORKS 2016 user interface. We are listening, we are working on it, and we will share more about our plans in the coming weeks."

So why not share your exact plans now?  Why the foot dragging?  Why not just tell us they are going to allow full control for the user to changes contrast, colors, icons and whatever else we want to do with the UI?

If they are still arguing among themselves over what changes to make then at least say that...

• 457. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
                      Tom Spine

For anyone who wasn’t watching the live stream of today’s SOLIDWORKS World General Session, Bruce Holway (Director, Product Definition) just announced that #1 on the Top Ten list was the classic colors idea. He announced that we are still on track for an option in SP3 that will give classic colors to the most frequent and visible modeling features. This means that solid features, surfacing features, sheet metal features, weldment features, and mold tools will all have classic icon colors under this option. Along with this is a new background (interface brightness) option that uses the same background color as the 2015 CommandManager.

Bruce showed this image, which was taken from a recent pre-release SP3 build and shows the CommandManager Features tab with the classic colors applied to the solid modeling features. It also shows the new background:

CommandManager.png

As I wrote earlier and Bruce announced today, we are on track for SP3 with these changes.

--Tom

For an update on SOLIDWORKS 2016 SP02 release, see Feb 17 update: Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface

For an update on changes in SOLIDWORKS 2016 SP03 for the user interface, see March 23 update: Update on the SOLIDWORKS 2016 SP03 UI changes

• 458. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
                        Ryan McVay

Tom Spine

Thank you for the update and please thank your team for their extended efforts, as well.

UI changes that are driven by software and hardware requirements are always difficult to implement and are almost never done in one single release- having been thru a couple of these in my days. Most users don't recognize or understand that UI changes of this degree require a lot of effort, collaboration between different development groups, some arm twisting here and there and a general "get on-board" or else efforts. The different development groups have to rewrite current code to conform- while they would like to be writing new functional code. But in the end you can't continue to add to house if you aren't willing to invest and make foundation(al) changes!

Best Regards,

Ryan McVay

• 459. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
                          Greg Hynd

Thank you Tom.

• 461. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
                            John Stoltzfus

Thanks Tom Spine - Can't wait for SP3

Or maybe I should upgrade now, so I could complain about headaches, not....

• 463. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
                              Mathew Stevenson

So the only thing that scares me is yes, you can go back to the classic view like AutoCAD did and then two, three, or four releases later, they take classic view away? I hope not but let's see

• 464. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
                                Chris Clouser

It does help somewhat, thanks.  I still have to double click when I want to be specific about what I want showing or not showing.  Unless I want to customize all of that as well.

Customization is a giant pain.  It seems we will be doing it after each release, as they are always tweaking something.

And I have three workstations I constantly use, so that multiplies my efforts to keep everything as I like it.

29 30 31 32 33