4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2016 6:21 PM by Peter Lethbridge

New Threads feature in 2016 annotation, configuration and representation (and collection of resolved questions)

Mladen Pavlovic

Hi there.

I installed new 2016 fairly recently and was excited with new thread feature. Also was disappointed shortly after. Here is why.

I was hoping that this new feature will be 'smart' as hole wizard is. upon playing with this feature for couple of days i was not able to:

1) create automatic annotation in the drawing

2) change the representation of the threads as simplified in my drawing

3) configure the feature

4) BUT it is possible to create a thread feature on 1" rod, with 1.5" threads  with no issues !

to open above issues a bit more:

1) i am not sure if i am missing any of the options checked so the annotations are not showing. If you cannot create automatic annotation, this feature is useless.

2) i do not like the actual thread representation. I know that it is important if you are 3D printing, but in standard 2D technical drawing it's just cluttering the drawing. It seems like an obvious option to have - changing thread representation from simplified to schematic to realistic...

3) it is possible to configure couple of the dimensions from the feature, but not the feature itself. if you have, let's say 1-14 UNF 2A, and change the rod size to 0.75, i was not able to find a way to change the thread size to match the rod.

4) It is either allowing you to do this or it is updating but the text label is not showing it - had no time to check this.

if it is possible to shed some light on 1-3 from above, it would be great. For now, it seems that they just made this option to quiet down the requests for it. It would be better if they had improved cosmetic thread feature to be more 'smart'.

For people having questions about this feature i have compiled a list of already asked and answered questions/resolved issues:

1) Information about threads not being completely accurate if used from supplied table - WARNING - Thread feature in SW2016 is woefully inaccurate

2) error message says it cannot 'cut thread' use 'extrude thread'- SW 2016 Thread creation.

3) make the thread feature .005" smaller or larger to compensate for hard anodize - Re: In 2016 thread feature, is it possible to make the thread undersized/oversized for anodization? This would be a valuable tool if it's not there yet.

4) pattern the new thread cut feature  - Pattern thread cut feature in 2016

• Re: New Threads feature in 2016 annotation, configuration and representation (and collection of resolved questions)
          Craig Schultz

"1) create automatic annotation in the drawing

2) change the representation of the threads as simplified in my drawing

3) configure the feature"

I brought up all of these in beta.  Specifically for 3D printing and 2D drawings.  So it should be out there in the world of SPRs, but who knows.

"2) i do not like the actual thread representation. I know that it is important if you are 3D printing, but in standard 2D technical drawing it's just cluttering the drawing. It seems like an obvious option to have - changing thread representation from simplified to schematic to realistic..."

If you don't need the physical threads, the feature is useless.  It complicates your part/assembly and slows down your system.  What I would if I needed it both ways is create 2 configurations: one with the physical thread, and the second one do a revolve feature that absorbs the thread and add cosmetic thread.  You can assign the thread call out there.

• Re: New Threads feature in 2016 annotation, configuration and representation (and collection of resolved questions)
            Randy McNurlin

I'd like to add that I don't think that the thread feature can be used in a Design Table. "$HW-Size@Thread1" does not work for me.

Jody Stiles

Hi Mladen,

Thanks for looking at the Thread feature.  We do value feedback on it.  Please find my responses in-line with your questions.

Mladen Pavlovic wrote:

Hi there.

I installed new 2016 fairly recently and was excited with new thread feature. Also was disappointed shortly after. Here is why.

I was hoping that this new feature will be 'smart' as hole wizard is. upon playing with this feature for couple of days i was not able to:

1) create automatic annotation in the drawing - We would only be able to display the configuration name you selected at this time.  The feature has no idea about the actual thread size nor the shaft/hole size you are using.  The functionality, as it stands now, is simply creating a helical thread using one of our supplied reference profiles or one that you may have created on your own.  Would a call out that simply said 0.250-20 work for you?  We didn't feel that was sufficient for a callout so we didn't supply one this year.  We may have one in the future and you can vote for it here

2) change the representation of the threads as simplified in my drawing - You'll need to create a configuration to accomplish this at this point in time.  You can vote for it (soon) searching for 905863 in the Enhancement Request database here.  The ER was not public yet but should be sometime on Wednesday.

3) configure the feature - This is something we will be looking at in the future.  You can vote for it here. Much like Hole Wizard, there's a load of issues with configuring all of the options in the feature.  What aspects of it would you like to configure?

4) BUT it is possible to create a thread feature on 1" rod, with 1.5" threads  with no issues ! - We currently allow you to put any thread profile on any size hole or shaft.  The feature has no knowledge of what the configuration name means and there's nothing in the profile to define the hole/shaft diameter onto which it should work.  We did this deliberately to allow you to create your own profile and use in any application you might have.  You can vote for the auto-sizing to selected geometry ER here.

to open above issues a bit more:

1) i am not sure if i am missing any of the options checked so the annotations are not showing. If you cannot create automatic annotation, this feature is useless. - See my notes above, there's nothing you are missing.

2) i do not like the actual thread representation. I know that it is important if you are 3D printing, but in standard 2D technical drawing it's just cluttering the drawing. It seems like an obvious option to have - changing thread representation from simplified to schematic to realistic...See my notes above.  The intent of the feature was for users who need to create threads for actual design applications such as lead screw manufactures, bottle makers, custom thread applications, etc.  We don't recommend using the Thread feature to thread holes for fun.  It'll weigh your models down with all of the surface geometry generation and then you'll file a bug complaining that we killed your performance.

3) it is possible to configure couple of the dimensions from the feature, but not the feature itself. if you have, let's say 1-14 UNF 2A, and change the rod size to 0.75, i was not able to find a way to change the thread size to match the rod. - See my notes above.

4) It is either allowing you to do this or it is updating but the text label is not showing it - had no time to check this. - See my notes above.

if it is possible to shed some light on 1-3 from above, it would be great. For now, it seems that they just made this option to quiet down the requests for it. It would be better if they had improved cosmetic thread feature to be more 'smart'. - We have this dilemma that you bring to light.  Do we release a feature/functionality that will meet the needs of many users but not all and we enhance it in the coming years or do we hold it off releasing it until it's fully baked and make you wait 2, 3, 4 more years?  There's usually an equal number of users arguing for each side of the coin on this one.

For people having questions about this feature i have compiled a list of already asked and answered questions/resolved issues:

1) Information about threads not being completely accurate if used from supplied table - WARNING - Thread feature in SW2016 is woefully inaccurate

2) error message says it cannot 'cut thread' use 'extrude thread'- SW 2016 Thread creation.

3) make the thread feature .005" smaller or larger to compensate for hard anodize - Re: In 2016 thread feature, is it possible to make the thread undersized/oversized for anodization? This would be a valuable tool if it's not there yet.

4) pattern the new thread cut feature  - Pattern thread cut feature in 2016