4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2015 3:29 PM by Craig Schultz

Pattern thread cut feature in 2016

Craig Schultz

Has anyone attempted to pattern the new thread cut feature in 2016?  Any type of pattern.....  I can't get it to follow a sketch pattern (using hole wizard sketch points for pilot holes) or a linear pattern of the pilot hole and thread cut.

Craig

• Re: Pattern thread cut feature in 2016
          Jody Stiles

Hi Craig,

Thanks for pointing this out.  I was able to get it to work with Linear Pattern but none of the others unless I enabled the Geometry pattern option in the pattern's PropertyManager.  Table Pattern still won't work even with Geometry pattern on so we'll have to look into that.  I can see why it won't work with Variable Pattern since we specify the features that will work with it but the other patterns don't have this limitation as far as I know. There's definitely some inconsistency here with the Geometry pattern option off so we'll look into that.

2015-11-17_13-39-33.png

2015-11-17_13-37-56.png

Out of curiosity, what are you making with the threads?

Did you create your own profile or use one of the ones we supplied?  (Note that the ones we supply are not meant to be used for manufacturing but only for reference.)

Are you concerned about performance when creating multiple threads in a part?  (We created the feature with concern that people would go crazy and thread everything they have just because they can.)

What additional controls would you like to see added?

Jody

Craig Schultz

Jody,

Out of curiosity, what are you making with the threads?

All I was using (attempting to anyway) it for was 3 - M3X0.5 mounting holes.  Nothing too extravagant in my mind. 

Did you create your own profile or use one of the ones we supplied?

Used the out of the box profile/thread that is supplied from SW.  No it's not for manufacturing purposes, just more visual in the assembly and for renderings.  We would also be using them for 3D printed parts.

Are you concerned about performance when creating multiple threads in a part?

Not concerned about performance.  We might have 4-5 different threads in a part.  But 3-4 of them are a single feature, not a pattern.  The only multiple hole threads we would be using are sets for assembly.   There might be a grand total of 12-15 threaded holes in a part.

The ability to have the thread visibility/style controlled by a configuration (or something similar).  Pilot holes + cosmetic thread for drawings.  Actual threads for renderings, animations, and 3D printing.  I understand that we could do it through configurations now.  But it would be awesome if you went from M3 --> M4 that the cosmetic threads and 3D cut would both update.  Maybe add it into hole wizard as an option for tapped holes by the tap drill diameter, cosmetic threads, and remove thread options.  On another note:  Is it possible to control those options through a configuration?  I haven't tried it, because there wasn't a need until the new thread feature.

I have hit or miss results when using the sketch pattern.  My original post was with a tap drill hole wizard and the thread feature not working with sketch pattern (geometry pattern selected or not).  I just tried it again.  It didn't work the first time. I unchecked geometry, it obviously didn't work.  Then I checked the option again and it worked.

Thanks for looking into this,

Craig

Jody Stiles

Hi Craig,

Craig Schultz wrote:

The ability to have the thread visibility/style controlled by a configuration (or something similar).  Pilot holes + cosmetic thread for drawings.  Actual threads for renderings, animations, and 3D printing.  I understand that we could do it through configurations now.  But it would be awesome if you went from M3 --> M4 that the cosmetic threads and 3D cut would both update.  Maybe add it into hole wizard as an option for tapped holes by the tap drill diameter, cosmetic threads, and remove thread options.  On another note:  Is it possible to control those options through a configuration?  I haven't tried it, because there wasn't a need until the new thread feature.

You can only configure the Hole size and various dimensional values but not end condition, hole type, hole design (tap drill, tap drill with cosmetic, major diameter), or optional features.

Jody