AnsweredAssumed Answered

dimension style macro

Question asked by Joseph McCabe on Apr 2, 2015
Latest reply on Apr 2, 2015 by Joseph McCabe

I am seeking assistance creating a macro to initiate the "Smart Dimension" command and then select a pre-defined dimension style.

We produce millwork that requires parts and assemblies from several different manufacturing disciplines, each one requiring different styles, accuracy, and tolerances for dimensioning.  I really wish we could set a style and have it remain as the default until the user selected to change it to another style, which would then become the default.  Currently, we have to select a saved dimension type for every dimension, which not only demands the few extra several clicks, it also is frequently forgotten in the drafting process and creates grief on the shop floors of our various departments.  We already have our most commonly used style set in the documents properties, but even this seems inadequate versus being able to set a named and saved style as a default.

In the meantime, I am hoping to employ a macro button that would be used to initiate the "Smart Dimension" command and set the dimension style to one of 4 different saved styles.  I would need, of course, to create four macros, one for each style.  For the rare instances where we use one of the other dimension commands (ie Horizontal, etc.), I would still rely on the practice of updating the style as we currently do.

In use, a draftsman would click the macro button instead of clicking on the smart dimension button and then setting the style in the dialog box, either prior to or after dimensioning a drawing element.

Any tips and/or assistance is appreciated.

Joseph McCabe

Outcomes