27 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2016 11:30 AM by MATT AUSTIN

Custom Properties - Part of a file name

Sebastian Acosta

The file naming convention that we use, has the part/drawing number first, followed by a description.

For example:

123456-001 - FRAME WELDMENT

123456-002 - TANK

123456-003 - SHAFT

123456-102 - AXLE

Custom properties can be linked to the file name, by typing something like:

Custom Property                   Value / Text Expression          Evaluated Value

Part No                                 $PRP:"SW-File Name"          123456-001 - FRAME WELDMENT

What I would like, is an expression that selects only the first 10 characters or so, such that:

Custom Property                   Value / Text Expression          Evaluated Value

Part No                                 ?                                          123456-001

Description                            ?                                          FRAME WELDMENT

This would be useful because, during a Pack&Go we commonly rename the number using the "select/replace". But then the custom properties need tidying up manualy or with a macro.

Any suggestions?

• Re: Custom Properties - Part of a file name
          Deepak Gupta

This can be done by using equations which you can embed into the file templates with the required properties. I'll try to set up an example.

Sebastian Acosta

Deepak,

Thanks for the response.

In the following discussion, they used equations to run some VBA code, but I haven't (yet) been able to figure out how it is done.

https://forum.solidworks.com/message/312634

Deepak Gupta

Somehow the functionality is not working in SW2012/13 for me or at least I'm not  able to use it.

But In case you need a macro to accomplish what you looking for, I can make one quickly.

Deepak Gupta

Here are the quick codes you can use in macro. Start a new macro (tools > macro > new) and copy paste these codes. Then run this macro ((tools > macro > run) and check file properties.

Dim swApp As SldWorks.SldWorks

Dim swModel As ModelDoc2

Sub main()

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks

Set swModel = swApp.ActiveDoc

swModel.AddCustomInfo2 "Part No", swCustomInfoText, Left(swModel.GetTitle, Len(swModel.GetTitle) - 17)

swModel.AddCustomInfo2 "Description", swCustomInfoText, Right(swModel.GetTitle, Len(swModel.GetTitle) - 13)

End Sub

Uwe Brunzel

Was looking for a solution for the exact same problem (splitting file name for custom properties) and found this thread. I hope somebody will read this an may have a solution.

I have used the API code you provided, thanks very much. It is all working as I would like but it won't override the custom properties once thay have been filled in with the macro. I.E. I want to uprev the drawing and the filename changes.

It all works fine if I delete the "old" custom property before running the macro. But I would like it to update on it's own as soon as I save a file. Do you think this is possible?

I am very new to API, so any help is much appreciated.

Matt Martens

Uwe,

Change these two lines from

swModel.AddCustomInfo2 "Part No", swCustomInfoText, Left(swModel.GetTitle, Len(swModel.GetTitle) - 17)

swModel.AddCustomInfo2 "Description", swCustomInfoText, Right(swModel.GetTitle, Len(swModel.GetTitle) - 13)

to

swModel.CustomInfo2 "Part No", swCustomInfoText = Left(swModel.GetTitle, Len(swModel.GetTitle) - 17)

swModel.CustomInfo2 "Description", swCustomInfoText = Right(swModel.GetTitle, Len(swModel.GetTitle) - 13)

Even though this method is superseded by another it should still work for updating a custom property.

If this doesn't work delete the existing custom property by this method

swModel.DeleteCustomInfo "Part No"

swModel.DeleterCustomInfo "Description"

prior to using AddCustomInfo2 to add the property.

Matt

Uwe Brunzel

Matt,

thanks for your swift reply! I had a little play with it and I am almost there thanks to your help.

Just need to find some more spare time and finish it all properly.

One more question if you don't mind, I have deleted the string Len(swModel.GetTitle) an it works fine without it.

That's what I came up with so fat: (with the below custom properties NOT present in the part file)

File name is ABC-001234-A Cabinet Assembly

-----------

Dim swModel As ModelDoc2

Sub main()

swModel.AddCustomInfo2 "PartNo", swCustomInfoText, Left(swModel.GetTitle, 10)

swModel.AddCustomInfo2 "Revision", swCustomInfoText, Mid(swModel.GetTitle, 12, 1)

swModel.AddCustomInfo2 "Description", swCustomInfoText, Mid(swModel.GetTitle, 14, 50)

End Sub

-----------

The "swModel.CustomInfo2" version didn't work at all.

Deepak Gupta

Uwe, try these codes. The macro will add the properties and their values if the custom properties doesn't exists. If they do exists then macro will update them.

Dim swModel As ModelDoc2

Sub main()

'Check and Add/Update PartNo Property

If swModel.CustomInfo("PartNo") = "" Then

Else

swModel.CustomInfo("PartNo") = Left(swModel.GetTitle, 10)

End If

'Check and Add/Update Revision Property

If swModel.CustomInfo("Revision") = "" Then

swModel.AddCustomInfo2 "Revision", swCustomInfoText, Mid(swModel.GetTitle, 12, 1)

Else

swModel.CustomInfo("Revision") = Mid(swModel.GetTitle, 12, 1)

End If

'Check and Add/Update Description Property

If swModel.CustomInfo("Description") = "" Then

swModel.AddCustomInfo2 "Description", swCustomInfoText, Mid(swModel.GetTitle, 14, 50)

Else

swModel.CustomInfo("Description") = Mid(swModel.GetTitle, 14, 50)

End If

End Sub

P.S. swModel.CustomInfo2 is/was used for configuration properties.

Deepak Gupta

But I would like it to update on it's own as soon as I save a file. Do you think this is possible?

Do you want to macro to save and update the file properties on it own when you do a save or save as for any open file?

If yes then check and modify this macro here: https://forum.solidworks.com/message/387860#387860

This macro create a PDF (overwriting the old one) whenever an active file is saved. You'll have to run the macro after starting the SolidWorks so that it keeps on running in the background.

In case you want the macro run automatically once SolidWorks session has been started, then here is the way: https://forum.solidworks.com/message/387910#387910

Naga Pavan Dakineedi

Hi every one,

i dont know about this macro at all, but we can do that task by simple changing sheet format, and link the part number with the property in the model in view specified in the sheet formet, that means get that values from configuration specific.

Deepak Gupta

But again you'll have to somehow split the file name under part properties using macro, VBA script or manually type it.

Uwe Brunzel

Had bit of time during lunch and can report the macro is working well except when the custom property is already present but empty.

As soon as anything is there, it works fine and overwrites the contens.

I made a few test file and assemblies with drawings and everything works as I wanted it. Great!!!

Deepak Gupta

Uwe Brunzel wrote:

Had bit of time during lunch and can report the macro is working well except when the custom property is already present but empty.

Then for keeping it simple, use Matt's method:

Dim swModel As ModelDoc2

Sub main()

swModel.DeleteCustomInfo ("PartNo")

swModel.DeleteCustomInfo ("Revision")

swModel.DeleteCustomInfo ("Description")

End Sub

Dirk Jan Schep

Hi Deepak (and others!),

Thanks for showing how to fix Sebastians problem, I have the exact same problem and now have some way of fixing it. Although with the following Macro I also get the .sdlprt at the end of my description. Do you happen to know a command to subtract this from the description after grabbing it from the filename? I have exactly zero experience with Macro's and programming, but with some common sense I was able to use your examples and edit them to my needs:

Dim swModel As ModelDoc2

Sub main()

If swModel.CustomInfo("Part No") = "" Then

swModel.AddCustomInfo2 "PartNo", swCustomInfoText, Left(swModel.GetTitle, 9)

Else

swModel.CustomInfo("Part No") = Left(swModel.GetTitle, 9)

End If

swModel.AddCustomInfo2 "Description", swCustomInfoText, Mid(swModel.GetTitle, 13, 50)

Else

swModel.CustomInfo("Description") = Mid(swModel.GetTitle, 13, 50)

End If

End Sub

All I still need to add is to remove the .sdlprt from the description property. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Adam Richendollar

I am using this code, just slightly modified.  But I am having a hard time trying to extract a string of characters between two delimiters. Just know that I know next to nothing regarding VBA.

We save our part numbers in this format: xxxxxxxx_REV XXX_MARK UP_IN.

I need to extract the information between the first and second delimiter "_" for the revision information, while also adding it to the custom property manager.  Everything seems to work but I cannot figure out how to extract this information.  My company is using Solidworks 2013.

Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------

Dim swModel As ModelDoc2

Sub main()

swModel.AddCustomInfo2 "PartNo", swCustomInfoText, Replace(Replace(swModel.GetTitle, Mid(swModel.GetTitle, InStr(1, swModel.GetTitle, "_")), Empty), ".sldprt", Empty, , , vbTextCompare)

swModel.AddCustomInfo2 "Revision", swCustomInfoText, Replace(Replace(swModel.GetTitle, Right(swModel.GetTitle, InStr(, swModel.GetTitle, "REV")), Empty), ".sldprt", Empty, , , vbTextCompare)

swModel.AddCustomInfo2 "Description", swCustomInfoText, Replace(Replace(swModel.GetTitle, Left(swModel.GetTitle, InStr(1, swModel.GetTitle, "_MARK")), Empty), ".sldprt", Empty, , , vbTextCompare)

End Sub

Deepak Gupta

I'm not sure how to do in one liner but try this

Dim value As String

value = Mid(swModel.GetTitle, InStrRev(swModel.GetTitle, "REV"))

value = Left(value, InStr(value, "_") - 1)

Adam Richendollar

I used your code as follows:

Dim swModel As ModelDoc2

Dim Value As String

Sub main()

Value = Mid(swModel.GetTitle, InStrRev(swModel.GetTitle, "REV"))

swModel.AddCustomInfo2 "PartNo", swCustomInfoText, Replace(Replace(swModel.GetTitle, Mid(swModel.GetTitle, InStr(2, swModel.GetTitle, "_")), Empty), ".sldprt", Empty, , , vbTextCompare)

swModel.AddCustomInfo2 "Revision", swCustomInfoText, Left(Value, InStr(Value, "_") - 1)

swModel.AddCustomInfo2 "Description", swCustomInfoText, Replace(Replace(swModel.GetTitle, Left(swModel.GetTitle, InStr(1, swModel.GetTitle, "_MARK")), Empty), ".sldprt", Empty, , , vbTextCompare)

End Sub

----------------------------------------------------------------

This ended up working!!! Thank you so much!

Robbin Mennings

Hi Deepak,

I have a question which is a bit simmilar as above. My programming skill are not that good.  I want to extract some more information about the file name and write it into the custom properties, I hope this is possible.

My file name  for purchased parts will be:

Part no - Description - Order no - Supplier

Example:

16AB00-AB - Wheel - AXB38393929 - Misumi

I have tried some code by myself but it doen`t work, this is because the length of the words will vary between the "-" signs.

-------------------------------------------------------

Dim swModel As ModelDoc2

Sub main()

If swModel.CustomInfo("PartNo") = "" Then

swModel.AddCustomInfo2 "PartNo", swCustomInfoText, Left(swModel.GetTitle, 9)

Else

swModel.CustomInfo("PartNo") = Left(swModel.GetTitle, 9)

End If

swModel.AddCustomInfo2 "Description", swCustomInfoText, Mid(swModel.GetTitle, 10, 50)

Else

swModel.CustomInfo("Description") = Mid(swModel.GetTitle, 10, 50)

End If

'Check and Add/Update Supplier Property

If swModel.CustomInfo("Supplier") = "" Then

swModel.AddCustomInfo2 "Supplier", swCustomInfoText, Right(swModel.GetTitle, 10)

Else

swModel.CustomInfo("Supplier") = Right(swModel.GetTitle, 10)

End If

End Sub

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you help me with this?

Thanks in advance,

Robbin Mennings

MATT AUSTIN

Sebastian, I have a macro that pulls parts of our FileNames and extracts portions and places them in the File Properties.  I did not include the entire code because it is very long and does a lot more than what you are after. Using my code, you may have to recombine two strings to get your partnumber back together. Deepak may be able to help condense the code as well. I only know how to reverse engineer/combine coding to get what I need so some of the way I did things may be the long way to do it...

Our Naming Convention is PN_Rev Letter_Title (with the Title broken into sections by more _s). eg. 315052_A_SPACER__PULLEY_BLK. We want to separate it out and add to Custom Properties as 315052, A, SPACER - PULLEY-BLK.

Option Explicit

Dim swApp           As SldWorks.SldWorks

Dim swModel         As SldWorks.ModelDoc2

Dim swConfigMgr     As SldWorks.ConfigurationManager

Dim swConfig        As SldWorks.Configuration

Dim boolstatus As Boolean

Dim FILENAME        As String

Dim TitleandRev As String

Dim PartNum     As String

Dim Title   As String

Dim Revision1       As String

Dim Retval      As String

Public Signature As String

Public DosTruename As String

Dim i As Integer

Dim Date1 As String

Sub main()

Set swConfigMgr = swModel.ConfigurationManager

Set swConfig = swConfigMgr.ActiveConfiguration

Date1 = Format(Date, "M/D/YY")

FILENAME = swModel.GetTitle

FILENAME = Replace(Replace(FILENAME, ".sldprt", "", , , vbTextCompare), ".sldasm", "", , , vbTextCompare)

'get needed info from model file name

Dim PNlen As String

Dim length As String

FILENAME = swModel.GetTitle

If InStr(1, FILENAME, ".SLDPRT") > 0 Then

FILENAME = Replace(FILENAME, ".SLDPRT", "")

ElseIf InStr(1, FILENAME, ".sldprt") > 0 Then

FILENAME = Replace(FILENAME, ".sldprt", "")

End If

If InStr(1, FILENAME, "_") > 0 Then

PartNum = VBA.Left(FILENAME, InStr(FILENAME, "_") - 1)

PNlen = Len(PartNum) + 1

length = Len(PartNum) + 3

If Len(FILENAME) > length Then

Title = VBA.Right(FILENAME, Len(FILENAME) - length)

End If

If Len(FILENAME) > PNlen Then

Revision1 = VBA.Right(FILENAME, Len(FILENAME) - PNlen)

Revision1 = VBA.Left(Revision1, 1)

Else

Title = FILENAME

Revision1 = 1

End If