1 2 3 First Previous 111 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2016 5:37 PM by Ed Donaldson

What are your workarounds in Drawings to display annotations/dimensions the way you need?

Matthew Lorono

Some customers have previously stated that they have to use many workarounds in drawings to get them to display annotations and dimensions the way that they need.  We'd like to see what you have.   Reply to this thread with your list workarounds in drawings!  Your input here will help us see how we can improve our tools to elimenate the need for these workarounds.  For example, this thread https://forum.solidworks.com/message/383387#383387 lists a couple of workarounds on how to account for annotations jumping around within a block.

1. Please state the reason for your workaround.

2. Please specify each step necessary in your workaround.

3. Please provide an example of your desired end result.

4. Please show the you currently get in SolidWorks without yoru workaround.

5. Please upload SolidWorks files as an example.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: What are your workarounds in Drawings to display annotations/dimensions the way you need?
          Nathan Coy

Management wants to dual dimension everything.  The lack of control per dimension of where the 2nd dimension appears (Top, Bottom, Left, Right) is almost as frustrating as having to put in dual-dims to begin with.  If I could move it per document as it is, along with editing individual dimensions would be a huge step to reducing clutter in drawings.

And example of my ridiculous workflow to get the desired result:

1. Add Dim. to hole (default units).

2. Add Dim. to hole (override to alternate unit, change precision as well)

3. Add Note to hole, combine both dims to stack how I want

4. Hide both Dims.

Not to mention all the dimensions where I've manually typed in the dual dim.  Makes checking/updating drawings take 10X as long.

• 2. Re: What are your workarounds in Drawings to display annotations/dimensions the way you need?
            Gilber García

1. We use the item number from BOMs in notes to describe how an assembly goes together. I recently found that you can click on an item balloon while in a note and the item number of that balloon will be linked in the note. This makes it easier if ever a change happens in the BOM where a part is added early on in the BOM or if a part is deleted. The options and functionality of the item number in the note is identical to original ballon which causes formatting issues in the note. We are now changing to use tables for our assembly descriptions so this functionality would also be good for use in tables. It currently does happen but with bugs and again loss of options and functionality.

2. To get around this problem what has been done has been explained on these threads.

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/53220

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/33802

A. To reiterate that, the assembly drawing view is created as normal with it's BOM. Then this drawing view is copied.

B. The second view gets a name such as "ASM SPEC ITEMS#" where the # is the original drawing view's number to keep some reference.

C. The ASM SPEC ITEMS# view has it's balloon's changed to whatever format is needed, in my case I want the same font and font size but not with style where the original view has a circular style.

D. The ASM SPEC ITEMS# view is dragged outside of the sheets border, right clicked, and hide is selected to hide the view. With this completed the note has the correct item number and the BOM can be manipulated as needed and the note will automatically updated.

3. Attached is a screen shot of what I would like to have happen automatically.

Ballon Issue.JPG

The issue with tables and balloons is shown in the attached picture. When a balloon is added just like the note, the item number is overlapped by the text after it. I have to manually correct this by adding atleast 5 spaces after the item number. There should be a menu or option to give the same options to the balloons in the notes maybe right click in a balloon and insert a specific one or something.

ITEM NUMBER OVERLAP.JPG

Correction, I just tried to add a balloon to a table and the overlap issue did not happen. I don't know what changed but it's ok now. I hadn't tried to do anything with this since the end of July.

• 3. Re: What are your workarounds in Drawings to display annotations/dimensions the way you need?
              Matthew Lorono

Coy,

Thank you for your comment, and the time you took to show me your workflow.  Let me ask a couple of questions to better understand your request.  First, which version of SolidWorks are you using?

Second, under Tools>Options...>Document Properties>Dimensions, each dimension type (except angle and angular running) has a Dual dimension area that allows you to set dual dimensions to appear Top, Bottom, Right or Left.  There are also options that allow you to always show dual dimensions, and to always show the unit of measure.  Additionally, precisions for Dual Dimensions can also be set here.  These are all document level settings (which can be saved in your drawing templates).  Then, in the PropertyManager, precisions can be set for the individual dual dimension in the Dual Dimension group box (to override document defaults).  So if I understand your request, you need the ability to set dual dimension position for individual dimensions (to override the document defaults) based on the available space in the area surrounding the dimension?

Also, could you let me know when/why you are manually typing in a dual dimensions? 

• 4. Re: What are your workarounds in Drawings to display annotations/dimensions the way you need?
                Nathan Coy

Matt,

You understand precisely.  The global all or nothing setting makes part of a drawing look great, and the rest look cluttered as far as organization goes.  Stacking dimensions horizontally or vertically for example, with a part that varies in size with drawing views that vary in scale.

I manually type in dual dims because I don't have the option of clicking a check box to move the dual dim to the top/bottom/left/right in each individual dimension.

• 5. Re: What are your workarounds in Drawings to display annotations/dimensions the way you need?
                  Gilber García

Another correction to this. The overlap issue is still happening. It does not occur when the item number are in the single digits but when any double digit or greater item number is used the overlapping occurs.

• 6. Re: What are your workarounds in Drawings to display annotations/dimensions the way you need?
                    Matthew Lorono

Gilber,

Very good info!  For your second comment about the overlapping issue, may I ask that you contact your VAR about this to see if this might be a possible bug?  Thanks!

For your first item, a quick question: do you ever need to use item numbers in this manner when you do not have a BOM?

• 7. Re: What are your workarounds in Drawings to display annotations/dimensions the way you need?
                      Gilber García

Hello Matthew,

I'll ask them about the overlapping issue, thanks.

We don't use item numbers other than when a BOM is used since the BOM is what let's anyone know what the item number really is. I saw your post on the previous thread earlier this morning after posting mine here. I think that getting the item number from the BOM would be a good idea but even though I don't need it I'm sure in some cases someone will want to add a border style around the item number to designate importance or something of that sort.

I just checked and if the item number is inserted from a balloon into a note then it can be highlighted and in the feature manager a border can be added as well as font and font size. So the item number added by the balloon in the note can be manipulated like any other text in a note. But this same option is not available when in a table. There is no feature manager for the text in tables so borders can't be added. It'd be nice to have it in both.

• 8. Re: What are your workarounds in Drawings to display annotations/dimensions the way you need?
                        Jonathan Lee

Hi Matthew,

This one has bugged me a lot for a while now,

1. Please state the reason for your workaround.

So I am able to get the hole callout annotation to look how I would like it.

2. Please specify each step necessary in your workaround.

I often have drilled holes equi-spaced on a p.c.d and would like the text 'equi-spaced' displayed on the second line on my hole callout format (not permanent (as in change the hole callout format) just saved under a style setting, as not all holes I do are equi-spaced), When I use hole callout I have to edit the text to get the 'equi-spaced' text onto the correct line (don't often do this but its one way of a work around), or I can set my custom style annotation with the 'equi-spaced' text on the first line, then go into editing the text and put 'equi-spaced' text onto the correct line (this is mainly what I do), see attached 'Hole Call Out Test.pdf'.

Find attached 'Hole Call Out Test.pdf', this is my desired end result from my custom style hole call out annotation. The 'EQUI-SPACED' text on the second line is the problem.

4. Please show the you currently get in SolidWorks without your workaround.

If I save my hole callout to a style like in 'Hole Call Out Test.pdf' then for some reason it doesn't even recognize I have that second line in (the 'equi-spaced' line) and just misses it out like in 'Hole Call Out Test 3.pdf'.

Find attached 'Hole Call Out Test 2', this is how I have to set up my custom style hole call out to show so I can get it to display the words 'equi-spaced', then after I go into it and hit the return button to move the text 'equi-spaced' down a line.

Find them attached.

6. Extra info!

I have also noticed that the work around I use (where all text is on top line then move it down) only works on the particular hole type I have used. I.e if I set this style up on a threaded hole and I use my style on a plain hole it wont do it. So for now I have set up the 'equi-spaced' style for all the main hole types I use.

Using SW2013 SP4.0.

Hope the above makes sense!

Best Regards

Jonno

• 9. Re: What are your workarounds in Drawings to display annotations/dimensions the way you need?
                          Bjorn Sorenson

I have been asked a number of times if there is a way to link the item number in the BOM to a note, similar to what Gilber is doing.  If this were just a SW drawing property that could be referenced, people wouldn't have to click on balloons in extraneous drawing views.

In the past, I have wanted to do this on multiple sheet drawings when detailing a particular part.  In the part detail section, it is nice to have a note that says "Item _, Qty _ Needed" which will parametrically update with the BOM.  So far as I know, the only way to do this is the balloons in a hidden view method described above.

• 10. Re: What are your workarounds in Drawings to display annotations/dimensions the way you need?
                            Matthew Lorono

Jonathan,

Thank you for the thorough information!   It appears you need better support for bolt circles, and to get callouts in the format that you need.  What is your impression of the process of editing the holecalloutformat.txt file?

• 11. Re: What are your workarounds in Drawings to display annotations/dimensions the way you need?
                              Jim Sculley

1. Please state the reason for your workaround

Witness lines do not terminate properly for dimensions imported from the model.  The termination point for these witness lines is based on the location of the sketch in the model and the geometry in the drawing view is ignored.  Any witness line that coincides with a line in the drawing view (edge, centerline, section line, etc) should terminate before coniciding with that line and respect the witness line gap settings.

2. Please specify each step necessary in your workaround

2. Every offending witness line must be repositioned manually, or the imported dimension must be deleted and recreated in the drawing view.  I can say with confidence that this affects 100% of my drawings with imported dimensions.

4. Please show the you currently get in SolidWorks without your workaround.

Both can be seen in the image below.  Imported dimension witness line terminates inside the model edge line.  Added dimension witness line terminates correctly:

witness-bug-1.png

See below.

• 12. Re: What are your workarounds in Drawings to display annotations/dimensions the way you need?
                                Jonathan Lee

Hi Matthew,

Overall the process of editing the holecalloutformat.txt isn't to bad, takes 10-15 minutes to get your head around the huge amount of text there is but after you have read the information at the top of the page it becomes clear what needs to be done. Then it just takes time to change all the text to what you want but that is expected (and worth it). MAKE SURE YOU SAVE A BACKUP BEFORE YOU START!!!

Better support for bolt circles would be great, but my main point is regarding the issues with the disappearing text if you save it as a custom style, if I could just get the text to stay on that second line!!!

Best Regards

Jonno

• 13. Re: What are your workarounds in Drawings to display annotations/dimensions the way you need?
                                  Paul Marsman

Jim,

I'll second your point on witness lines not ending at the correct spot for model items.  You should be able to drag the handles back and snap to the model edge you want them to be at but that works less often than I would like.  Many times I just drag it back to my own distance away from the model edge.  Problem comes when you make model changes that affect those dimensions, you have to retouch every one of those again.

Another that I've had to do is when using ordinate dimensions, you can't move (shift+drag) or copy (ctrl+drag) the dimensions to detail views... so then you have to expand the detail view, add the dimension manually, etc.

Matthew, I know that doesn't follow your 1,2,3,... requirement but I'm too busy today

Paul

• 14. Re: What are your workarounds in Drawings to display annotations/dimensions the way you need?
                                    Glenn Schroeder

Hello Matthew,

I've got a pretty simple one, so I won't go through all the steps if you don't mind.  I often have a note calling out a property, with a BOM number balloon either to the left or above the note.  I like to group them so I can move one without moving the other.  So far so good, until I copy and paste this group to another drawing view.  They inevitably come in with the balloon and note stacked on top of each other.  I have to un-group them, re-position them, then re-group.  That seems to be a lot more trouble than it needs to be.

1 2 3 First Previous