Here's what we have:
3 Servers (One for SQL db, two Archives replicated)
Dell PowerEdge R520
1x Xeon E52470 @ 2.3ghz (8 core)
24gb 1600mhz ECC memory
RAID 1 for OS (2x 900gb) 10k SAS
RAID 5 for data (3 x 200gb = 400gb total) SSD
Dell PowerEdge R510
1x Xeon L5520 @ 2.27ghz
8gb 1333 mhz ECC memory
RAID 1 for OS (2x 300gb) 15k SAS
RAID 5 for data (4x 300gb = 900gb total) 15k SAS
We have 200 PDM licenses and 40+ SolidWorks licenses....generally we have about 150 users in the system daily, although I don't know how many are actively using the system at once.
Thanks Jason. Do you have any idea how easy it is to later split the archive server from the SQL and Database server? Our current setup will be to house everything on the new server, which we beleive will be fine for the amount of users we have here.
There is a section at the end of the Installation Guide that covers moving the it to another server. It will require hacking the registry (server and clients) and a few database entries.
Jason, doesn't sound too bad to move it... Looking at your setup, you have more total horsepower between the database server and archive server than the single server that we have specified, however you also have 200 pdm licenses, whereas we are not even close to that. I draw the conclusion that we should be ok for a while on one server.
Anyone else out there with a similar number of users running EPDM on one server? Any stories to share?
We just took our epdm archive & db servers through that change you mention. Splitting the db from the archive was actually pretty easy. Use the "Moving server components" section as Jason mentioned. Just make sure you have a complete back up, an account with admin permissions from IT, sa password for your db (or the account with db_owner permissions, sa not required but recommended), and a copy of PDQDeploy and powershell.
I used PDQDeploy to automate pushing out an admin image of the EPDM installation to all the CAD Editor & Contributor clients after the upgrades were done. Used Powershell to script the registry updates to the client vaults so they all pointed to the new server.
It was all done automatically silently from the users' perspective and completed in 3 days but could have been done in 1.5. Touch time on the client machines has been about 2 hours for 40 users.