1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 15, 2012 2:26 AM by Jared Conway

Urgent Please: Is this a Solidworks error? velocity inlet doesn't match up with volume flow rate goal

Diego Cassina

Hey guys...

I've been getting this error and I want to know how to get past it, it's a simple setup:

i have a hollowed pipe so a circular inlet and i've put some lids on either side:

inlet BC: 1 m/s

inlet Area: 1 m^2

you'd think this would give me a volumetric flow rate into the pipe of 1 m^3/s, but no.. see the surface goals i have below:

Goal NameUnitValueAveraged Value
      SG Volume Flow Rate outlet[m^3/s]-3.987011588-3.987011588
      SG Volume Flow Rate inlet[m^3/s]3.9870115883.987011588
      SG Av Velocity outlet[m/s]1.0000009041.000000813
      SG Av Velocity inlet[m/s]11

i've included the part and a zipped folder containing the flow results to upload.

Can someone please help me out? I need to validate this model by tomorrow

p.s. - This was done in SW2012 if that matters

• Re: Urgent Please: Is this a Solidworks error? velocity inlet doesn't match up with volume flow rate goal
          Jared Conway

Hi, sorry for the delayed response, I just noticed your query tonight while I was checking the beta forum.

How did you measure the inlet area?

I can confirm that your inlet BC is 1m/s and the surface parameters and goals output 1m/s but when use the measure tool to measure the area, the value is 4m^2. This can also be confirmed by using a surface parameter in the results section to report the area. You'll notice that as you improve the mesh, the area will converge to 4 m^2.

Is it possible that you had the model visible with quarter symmetry (2 sections enabled), if it was, the measure tool would only show the sectioned area which would be 1m^2.