AnsweredAssumed Answered

Rubber expansion

Question asked by Mike Price on Jun 19, 2012
Latest reply on Nov 2, 2012 by Mike Price

Hi all,

I'm trying to run a nonlinear study and am running into issues.  I am trying to see how the rubber will deform with temperature and am setting up a nonlinear study.

fixture.jpg

The gray blocks are aluminum and the green is rubber.  I have assigned a hyperelastic - Mooney Rivlin type of material to the rubber, and while I have not quite been able to determine the proper material constants (if anyone knows material constants for Dow Corning Silastic J that would be nice ), I still have put something in for that.

I have created a bonded component contact between the two gray parts.  I have then created a no penetration contact set between the upper gray and green part and lower green and gray part with friction, and then the two green parts.

My thought is that since the green parts are geometrically constrained within the gray, the appropriate contraints are implied.

However, that isn't the case apparently as the simulation will not run.  If the contact sets are changed from a "no penetration" to a "bonded" the model will run, but the scenario is not that of a bonded one.

For a global constraint, I have fixed one of the gray mating surfaces.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Outcomes