8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2011 11:00 AM by Ron Bates

Floor reflection, but no shadows?

Marshal Fitch

Is there a way to turn off shadows on the floor only and keep the floor reflections?  I'd like to still have shadows cast on the part by the lights, but I don't want shadows on the floor.  Strange question, I know, but I'm curious.

Thanks

• Re: Floor reflection, but no shadows?
          Dan Riffell

Edit the scene and check or uncheck floor shadows.

Marshal Fitch

It seems that every time I do that it unchecks the floor reflections as well.  Perhaps it's just in the studio room scene that it does this?

Dan Riffell

Whenever you choose a pre-packaged studio scene your settings will reset.

Marshal Fitch

I realize that, but once I've set my scene, why can I not have floor shadows off with floor reflections on?

shadowsoff.jpgshadowson.jpg

Rob Rodríguez

You're correct.  It's not possible to seperate the two.  If you want a floor reflection then you have to have the shadow as well.  Easiest way around it is render with no shadow or rflection and add the floor reflection in PhotoShop.

Marshal Fitch

hmm, do you know if there's a reason for this?  I don't see a reason the two shouldn't be independent of each other

Rob Rodríguez

I believe it's intended to work that way.  Not a bug but the way it was coded.  I agree it would be nice to have them seperated but it's currently not possible the way the functionality is implimented.

Modo has a shadow catcher which is what PV360 uses for the floor shadow feature.  Modo does not have a reflection floor feature. Maybe a technical limitation in modo?  Since modo doesn't have the feature I assume it was "rigged" in PV360 to be part of the floor shadow.  All speculation on my part

Maybe someone from SW can give us the details.

In a perfect world the floor shadow and floor reflection would be seperate and they both would have the ability to control how intense the shadow or reflection were.

Ron Bates

Rob is partially correct in that if we want this, we have to come up with a way that Modo can support such a floor for us.  That wouldn't be impossible, but will take some effort.  The other reason, which is the main one, is that this was a design decision based on implicit real world rules: There's no such thing as reflections only...to have reflections implies there is a floor present (catching the reflection), and that floor will naturally catch shadow as well.  It is obviously possible to have a very diffuse-only object as your floor which would then only catch shadows and not produce any reflections. Hence the logic, that if you disable shadows, you are removing any floor at all, and any floor-effects.

There is a pseudo-workaround.  It's not perfect; the main side effect being that even pure glass will catch some shadow as well as any other environment reflections.  But if you disable the scene floor (toggle off the scene floor shadows), and then add CLEAR GLASS as the floor appearance (RMB on the Scene node in the display manager) and select Add Floor Appearance.  See the attached image.  You'll notice a color difference of the white background due to the refraction through the glass.  So as noted, if you want a smooth background you need to extend the size of the scene floor.  Also, reflections are naturally based on both viewing and lighting directions so it won't be as visible at all angles...  HTH

GlassFloor.jpg

Ron