67 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2017 2:59 PM by Randy Miller

system resources running low

mitchell shellenberger

I have been getting a system resource notification that SW has detected that my system resources are running low.

I have read several previous posts about this, and read S-048684 and S-048683 which were recomended in those previous posts.  I have found that my GDI resourses are causing this message to appear.  I currently have 9106 objects used.  Which is over 9000, which causes this message to appear.

I only have one assembly windown open and two part windows, but I have been opening and closing parts all morning making updates and corrections.  Is there some solution to this problem other that changing the registry key to allow for more than 10000 GDI objects?  Why is this assembly driving up my GDI objects?

my system specs are attached along with the warning message.  I am running SW2010.

• Re: system resources running low
          Scott McFadden

Mitchell,

When was the last time you ran a clean disk or emptied out your

Solidworks backup folder?

mitchell shellenberger

What I am seeing is every time I open a part, GDI objects are added, but when I close the part, the GDI objects remain.  So after a couple hours of opening and closing files the total GDI count surpasses 9000, and gives me the warning.

Is there some way to release these GDI objects when a part is closed?

Anna Wood

What happens when you restart SolidWorks?  What happens when you reboot your computer?

Do you leave SW and your computer on all the time, never restarting either?

What do you have running for virus protection?

Do you have the Dell Security Suite running on the computer?

What other software is running in the background besides SolidWorks?   Virus Protection, Windows Defender, Dell stuff, etc.....

What version and SP of SolidWorks are you running?

Are you running Windows Vista or Windows 7?

Cheers,

Anna

mitchell shellenberger

I just want to make sure there is not somthing that I am doing wrong that is causing this issue.   Is there any techniques that I can impliment that will slow the accumulation of these GDI objects?

Vajrang Parvate

Hi Mitchell,

The most common workflow we're aware of that causes GDI handle usage to go up is: opening up part/sub-assembly document(s) from within an assembly by using the "Open Part" or "Open Assembly" command in the feature tree and then later closing the opened document. SolidWorks "holds on" to the GDI handles required for such documents until the master assembly is closed.

The default per-process GDI handle limit is 10000, regardless of platform (32-bit/64-bit) and RAM (which was a strange decision on Microsoft's part, but that's another story).

A temporary solution (other than the obvious close all documents or restart SolidWorks) is to raise the GDIProcessHandleQuota from the default 10,000 to say 20,000 or more (the max possible is 65536). I'd suggest only those who are on x64 with at least 8 GB of RAM should consider this.

We're actively working on this problem. Watch this space.

Regards,

Vajrang.

P.S. If you do have other workflows that cause the GDI usage to go up, please post them here and we'll look at all of them collectively. Thanks.

Charles Culp

Vajrang,

I'm glad to hear you are looking into this error. I get it all the time, even when I only have open two part files.

I have noticed that if I have too many Windows Explorer windows, Windows Explorer will take thousands of GDI objects. If I have our "Master" directory open where the released files are, it will slowly creep up into the many thousands. I assume this has something to do with the preview icons that SolidWorks creates for Windows Explorer. We have a "best practice" here to never actually keep that folder open in Windows Explorer, but it's easy to forget. It slows down our system, regardless, but will it have any effect on the stability of SolidWorks?

Vajrang Parvate

Charles -

GDI handles is a shared limited resource, no different than RAM or disk space. So yes, it will affect the stability of SolidWorks. But runaway GDI handle count in explorer.exe is probably the worst kind for two reasons:

1. Whenever you do a File->Open or File->SaveAs from any application,   the windows shell is injected into the process. All DLLs/memory/GDI/etc. resources needed by the shell start running in the host process.

2. Explorer.exe also hosts the OS shell. So if explorer.exe becomes unresponsive, your start menu, taskbar, system tray, etc. all become unresponsive.

Tip: Turn on "Launch folder windows in a separate process" in Windows Explorer's Tools->Options->View to mitigate this particular problem.

Approximately how many SW files do you have in the folder ? We've seen GDI usage go up in explorer when using the thumbnails, but it's usually in the 1000-1500 range and windows recycles the handles when you scroll and releases them when you close the explorer window.

Vajrang.

Charles Culp

11,300 files are in that folder.

John Matrishon

Vajrang, is there any relationship between the graphics drivers and GDI, low system resources?

We have a new HP Z400 W3680 cpu, 12GB Ram, FX1800 on Win 7 Pro 64bit that keeps getting the low on system resources message, even though there is not much going on in the system besides some relatively simple drawings and models.   Definately should not be low.

We had issues with the Nvidia driver un-installer with the certified SolidWorks driver ( apparently a known issue), and have tried 4 different approved drivers.

We are also on SW2010 sp4.

We ran the HP Performance Advisor and had it adjust the bios for SolidWorks, and we'll see if that helps.

We plan on ordering more of these machines, but this is now putting that off until we can figure out the right setup.  The FX1800 has been around for a couple years now, so I'm wondering if we should switch to the new FX2000 which is pretty new and has good specs for a mid-range card.

Are there any monitor apps for watch the GDI count?

Vajrang Parvate
                                      [I]s there any relationship between the graphics drivers and GDI, low system resources?

No - there is no direct relationship. GDI handles are allocated by the operating system. It's one of those old legacy things in Windows where the plumbing is visible in the living room even on x64.

Are there any monitor apps for watch the GDI count?

The regular Task Manager can show GDI objects used by each process. Switch to the Processes tab and then check View->Select Columns->GDI Objects.

If you have 8+ GB on your machine, you can safely increase your GDIProcessHandleQuota to say 20,000 or even more.

Vajrang.

Roman Suski

I ran into this opening files in an imported assembly. The GDI count for solidworks exceeded 9,000 and produced the error message.

I managed to to duplicate it today relatively quickly by just opening files using SW open dialog box.

It dropped the GDI count back down once I closed and reopened SW. I searched the knowledge based and found that this is a problem that

started with Vista and was carried over in 7. I just recently switched from XP. Did not happen in XP.

The knowledge base did not list a solution for this problem. Increasing the GDI limit may help but will not correct the problem.

I think this is a bug. I think that if the limit was 20,000, it would have taken a little longer to reach it.

The count seems to build exponentially. It seemed that the count grew faster if the models had greater complexity.

John Matrishon

Vajrang Parvate wrote:

If you have 8+ GB on your machine, you can safely increase your GDIProcessHandleQuota to say 20,000 or even more.

Vajrang.

Is increasing the GDI limit a bandaid to this problem?  I'm just wondering how much of this I will see as we buy more and more 64bit machines.  I just convinced the company that 64 and Win 7 is the way to go...

Vajrang Parvate

Yes, it's a band-aid if you are running into the problem (most users don't have this problem).

What we know so far is this seems to happen more predominantly for the two workflows mentioned in this thread (open/closing parts from within assembly and browsing to a folder with large number of SLD* files from File->Open).

Vajrang.

Don Michaels

Vajrang;

We have a number of mechanical engineers that are seeing the resources message.  We plan on experimenting with increasing the GDIProcessHandle quota in the registry.  A question, if we do increase this quota, will SolidWorks still turn on the message at 9,000 GDI objects? Does SolidWorks set their threshold higher if the GDI objects limit is increased?

By the way, most of our users are using XP 64 bit, so the message is not limited to Vista or Win 7.  Our single Win 7 user is seeing this message on a regular basis.  Generally when they see the message, a crash is close.  We are now monitoring GDI Objects in the Task Manager to get a better understanding.

Thanks

Don Michaels

Karl Diekman

I get this error when I am opening and closing large assemblies.

I usually watch the page file usage history in XP and when it gets to 2GB I'd better save before SW shuts down.

Shutting down SW will clear most of it up,  but there are some assemblies that exceed it on there own.

SW2010 SP2.1

Windows XP Pro SP3

John Layne

Just playing around watching the GDI count, setting the open assembly to lightweight reduces the GDI count dramatically.

1/ Working in Lightweight mode may well slow the progress of this problem.

2/ Switching to lightweight and then back to resolved doesn't increase the GDI object count back to the previous high

Ronald van Til

I personally dislike (I have had assemblies not rebuilding correct, repairing assemblies that did not need repairing as became clear after switching to resolved...) lightweight, so I switched it off where I can.

Maybe that is partly why some of us are running into the problem more often than others....

My 2 cents....

I did some experimenting with the mouse gestures and stuff like that with no success...

Ronald van Til

Hello All,

Same problem here, running Win7 x64, 8Gb RAM, Dell M6500, SW2011-SP2, ATI Firepro M7820.

On a simple assembly it occurs after opening and closing some parts. Assembly containing 30 parts or something. I do a lot of parts-opening from the assembly and returning to the assembly.

I have had it more often, also on larger assemblies (2000+ components) but all the time after opening and closing parts from the assembly. Didn't pay attention to it then.

I will watch the GDI-objects usage from now on and issue a SPR.

Regards,

Ronald van Til

Ronald van Til

The VAR replied that Solidworks is aware of this problem and that it will be solved in the next release of Solidworks (so not the next SP).

In SPR 581924 is the problem of the not releasing of the GDI objects covered, and under SPR 532321 is spoken over the usage of more GDI objects in SW2010 compared to previous releases.

So no short term solution....

Greetz,

Ronald

John Layne

I'm occasionally having this problem, usually happens when I'm using the HoleWizard or editing dimensions that have Fit tolerances. Before researching this, I assumed it was related to .mdb

Note I haven't reported this to my VAR, even though it happens about once a day. It takes too long to reproduce so haven't seen the point in reporting the issue.

Machine spec

Dell M90 2gb RAM

Windows XP 32bit (all Microsoft updates applied)

Microsoft Office 2007

SolidWorks 2010 SP5.0

If this is more of a problem with windows 7 64 bit, I might start new projects in SolidWorks 2009 on a 32 bit PC!

John Layne

Note this really needs urgent attention from SolidWorks, and it needs to be fixed in SolidWorks 2010 not 2011.

Can someone confirm if this is an issue with 2011?

Ronald van Til

I can confirm that this is also an issue in SW2011-sp2.

I don't know if the extent is the same as with SW2010, because I don't use it as much (yet) as SW2010. But this week I got the issue working on an assembly with some 30 parts (not very complicated.... only a lot of switching between the parts) within SW2011 sp2.

Ronald

Randy Miller

"In SPR 581924 is the problem of the not releasing of the GDI objects covered, and under SPR 532321 is spoken over the usage of more GDI objects in SW2010 compared to previous releases."

Still an issue for us using SW 2016 SP5.  In fact, we've seen it for the past several years but figured it would never get fixed.  Now the SPR's you list say it was fixed in version 2012 a1.  However, we still see the problem and have to reboot to get back to work.

PLEASE FIX THIS SOLIDWORKS.

Vajrang Parvate

We're working on this issue. The change required in the code to fix this is pretty fundamental to how parts, assemblies and drawings operate with each other in SolidWorks, so it's possible that the fix may cause problems in areas outside of just the core workflow in assemblies, e.g. API, 3rd-party addins, our own addins, hole wizard / dimensions / other GDI-heavy commands, etc.

We're taking a cautious approach to this fix, rather than just making the change and hoping for the best. We should have some news around this issue around the 2011 SP03 time frame - please watch this space.

This is not more of a problem with Win7 x64 per se; you're more likely to run into other resource bottlenecks (RAM & virtual space, mostly) on 32-bit systems before you run into the GDI handle issue. (The root problem is that the limit of GDI handles per process is the same on 32-bit and x64 Windows.)

That said, seeing this error once a day is rather high. Please report this to your VAR so we can make sure we're not missing anything in our test scenarios.

Regards,

Vajrang.

Lindsay Dalziel

Vajrang, we belief (John Layne & myself) that this “SolidWorks has detected that your system resources are running low. It is recommended that you close some applications to free additional resources." message or should I say GDI memory leak in SWX 2010 x64 SP5, is response for a most “unacceptable” problem on my “brand spanking new” Dell T5500 Xeon 2.93Ghz 12 GB of ECC Ram, running Win7 Pro x64.

I can only dream of getting a whole days uninterrupted use of SolidWorks 2010 x64 SP5 on this brand new machine of mine.

I am having failures once an hour not just once a day!  Seriously I am not joking because it sounds like one.

Please, Please, Please can you tack down and follow the issue lodged this week at Intercad VAR (Australia / New Zealand) Case #: 74010 I have sent 2 RX reports in the last two days. I will also attempt to email these RX reports etc directly to you shortly.

I am at my wits end with this problem!

Regards Lindsay.

Don Michaels

The real solution to this is to raise the GDIProcessHandleQuota to 20,000.  We have done this on Dell XP-x64 4gb machines and it works great.  We consider this a real remedy to the problem. Don't waste anymore time on this issue, just edit the registry and forget about it!

The location is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\GDIProcessHandleQuota

Registry location applies to Windows XP x86 (32 bit) through Windows 7 x64

Message was edited by: Don Michaels

Lindsay Dalziel

Dear news group, John & I had already adjusted my GDI setting to 65535 which is the absolute max value, but SolidWorks still in fact fell over as it got to the default 10000 GDI (by watching  this value rising in the  task manager window). In other words we were already well onto this theory for “supposedly” resolving the problem.  The only difference was that I did not get the “resources are running low  warning message”, just good night nurse, and would you like to run SolidWorks RX?  Which we did and have sent that to our VAR (Intercad), we had a poke around in the RX report logs and no mention of the GDI limit this particular crash but it fell on the stroke of 10000 GDIs (by looking via the task manager at the time it happened). I have managed to get SolidWorks to go over the 10000 GDI default limit without it falling over since, but by also adjusting other Windows 7 performance options. To cut a very long story shorter, this problem can’t be ignored it is not a set and forget problem it is a serious fundamental problem in the SolidWorks program (basically it’s a memory leak). It needs to be fixed and in SWX2010 SP6  I might add.

After wasting many hours on this problem this week (since I got my brand new machine) we think we know what makes the GDI value race so very quickly to the 10000 mark “and well beyond” in my case.  FYI, It has been taking less than an hour in the single part drawing(s) that I have been working on this week to get over this default  limit.  Our theory is linked to the heavy use of GD&T dimensioning in the drawing(s) that I was using at the time.  Since then I have culled all of them (the GD&T dimensions) out of the very same drawings and gone back to standard dimensioning schemes in these drawings and the problem so far appears to have gone. This will be to do with how SolidWorks accesses the database of GD&T symbols or some such other problem. The other thing that John has notice that tends to create this problem is using the Hole Wizard but not to the same extent as the problem that I had been suffering.

I guess I just got unlucky to be working on drawings like this first up on a brand new machine as I thought there was something wrong with the machine at first.

Our opinion is that SolidWorks needs to raise its game, or slow its development cycle (one and the same), but let’s not go down that track to far (I have worse stories than this one), we would still be on the news group at Christmas!   I have to get these drawings out the door  finally.

We await SWX2010 SP6 with bated breath.

Regards Lindsay.

Vajrang Parvate

Hi Lindsay,

Do you recall if the machine was rebooted after the registry key was changed to 65535 ? (The operating system requires it). The symptoms you describe appear to point to a missing reboot.

I understand your frustration at the lost time. I do want to asure you and everyone else that this is an issue we're working on with high priority to resolve.

Regards,

Vajrang.

Lindsay Dalziel

Vajrang, we sure did, reboot that is.  FYI, Both John and I are “old” campaigners.

It was really odd how I believe it went at the very point it got to 10000 GDI’s but the 2nd RX report log didn’t mention GDI’s.

Hopefully you can pick up the second RX report that I forwarded to Intercad as that is the one where the GDI’s had been set up to a Max (65535) but SWX still fell over.

Here are some of the other things that I did to Windows 7 to get SWX to eventually go over 10000 GDI’s, see the png files attached, including lowering the GDI registry setting again back to 20000.

I will keep you posted over the course of the weekend, I have to get these drawings out the door so I have to work the weekend now, and I am keeping my eye on the GDI numbers as I go.

Every time I touched the GD&T dimensions the GDI number just jumped up I am sure that this can be re-created “given the time”.

Basically we are moving away from using GD&T dimensioning schemes.

FYI that just happened to be a decision that was made on Friday morning by our current contract machine shop otherwise I would still be swearing away.

Also FYI, Intercad has arranged someone at SolidWorks to ring me on Monday 4pm New Zealand time.

You guys need to fix this issue and quickly, we do NOT want to migrate to SWX 2011 SP3 to have to resolve such a problem, as we would have to update PDMWE etc etc.

Happy hunting,

Regards Lindsay.

David Oustifine

I am getting this same error on SW 2011 sp2 on a brand new machine.  Its crashed like three times already today and it sounds like its due to the open/close files from an assembly issue mentioned earlier in this thread since that is all I have been doing today correcting the appearances regressions in my files from SW 2009; but that is another story.

In need of a vent here.....I have been using SW since 1999, worked in the reseller channel for a decade and am probably one if its biggest proponents down in Houston but I must say that these types of issues (memory leak is long standing) and regressions (appearances and mate issues) tend to rub users, and the companies who invest the money to buy the software, the wrong way.  I would love to see SW take a year off from adding new features that benefit a few and be bold and broadly address these items which negatively impact performance and ultimately user opinion of this product......thanks

Paal Eilertsen

Hi,

Just wanted to add to this thread my case.

I have just upgraded from SW 2007 to SW 2011 SP2.0 on a brand new Dell T5500 (6GB RAM). I am working with a stand alone application that automates SW heavily. One of the things I do through VB.Net code is to add part to an assembly using API calls to NewDocument which is then saved, then added to assembly (AddComponent2) and the closed (CloseDoc). I add around 100 parts.

Everything worked fine on Win XP 32 bit with SW 2007 (slow but ok). Now I get the "low on resourses" message at around 9000 GDI object (maybe after 30 part creations). If I continue SW crashes after 10000. I have changed the registry to 20000 and now it crashes at 16000 GDI objects. It seems one new part adds ca. 200 GDI object which is never release until I close down the assembly. Opening it again adds only 200 GDI object so everything works fine afterwards.

As this is an automated continues process, stopping and restarting is not an option.

Is there another temporary solution to my problem? Maybe using other API calls to add the parts?

Best regards

Pål Eilertsen

Trondheim

Norway