78 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2016 7:38 AM by Richard Wagenaar

dimension pallet

Ali McCartney
      Anyone know how to turn off the dimension pallet?
        • Re: dimension pallet
          David Demaria
          Can you throw a screen dump of what your referring to here ?
            Tony Cantrell
            If  you mean the deminsion toolbar, if its a toolbar grab the left edge drag it down and x it out, if its in the command manager RMB and customize the command manager by deselecting it.
              Stephanie Honeycutt

I would also like to see a way to turn this option off. I'm so used to clicking out in space to deselect something but now every time I do I end up clicking in that box. It's really annoying. If we can't turn it off is there a way to fix it to a certain location so that it doesn't show up wherever the mouse is? If this could be further looked into I would really, really appreciate it.

Thanks

Stephanie

Robert Dilgard

There is an Enhancement Request for disabling this annoying feature.

SPR # 524620

Glenn Schroeder

It annoyed me at first, but now that I have gotten used to it I don't mind it.  If you ever add text to your dimensions you may find it easier to do in the dimension pallet box than in the command manager.

Stephanie Honeycutt

Thanks! I appreciate it, and I agree that adding text is easier with the box but picking the arrows to make them go on the outside or inside of the extension lines or just moving the dimension is much more annoying with it. My personal preference is that my toolbars stay out of my screen. Could be cause I started drafting in AutoCAD.

Tom Spine

We are aware of the Enhancement Request and feedback about Dimension Palette, and are working on design alternatives to address the issue. In fact, this week and next I am collecting feedback on a prototype that changes the way the Dimension Palette appears. (This is in addition to just turning it off all together - we are listening!)

If you have used the Dimension Palette in 2010 and were, uhhh, annoyed by it, and you would like to spend 30 to 45 minutes talking to me (via phone) about the issues and giving our prototype a try (via a web conference), please send me mail at tspine at solidworks dot com.

Thanks.

Tom Spine

SolidWorks User Experience Design

Alessandro Frattini

Sorry to all, but I like the new dimension palette. With some suggestion from customers can be implemented.

Vajrang Parvate

Hi All,

As Tom pointed out above, we are working on making the existing dimension palette less intrusive in everyday work.

Meanwhile, we have added a registry key to 2010 SP 2.1 to disable the dimension palette.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks\SolidWorks 2010\Dimensions\14504(DWORD)=1

Regards,

Vajrang.

Kelvin Lamport
                              Any chance of adding the palette to the feature sketch environment where it would be even more useful? With an option to disable it of course.
                                John Lhuillier

15055 wrote:

Hi All,

As Tom pointed out above, we are working on making the existing dimension palette less intrusive in everyday work.

Meanwhile, we have added a registry key to 2010 SP 2.1 to disable the dimension palette.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks\SolidWorks 2010\Dimensions\14504(DWORD)=1

Regards,

Vajrang.

That's great but how does it get added into the registry. It's not added when you update 2010 to SP2.1.

I did get it added, but perhaps a file to add it to the registry for those that want this but don't like editing the registry might be a good idea.

Now if you can only disable the RAPID DIMENSION MANIPULATOR as well would be another huge addition

Ali McCartney
                                  How do I gat this key to work?
                                      John Lhuillier

Ali wrote:

How do I gat this key to work?

You have to modify the registry to add the key so if you are not comfortable doing this DON"T DO IT.

Under HKEY_CURRENT_USER browse down to SOFTWARE and then SolidWorks and then expand the  Solidworks 2010 key. Look for the Dimensions key under SolidWorks 2010 and expand that. Now RMB (RIGHT MOUSE PICK) on the right side pane and pick the NEW and then pick DWORD. This should start a new key that you can enter 14504 for the value. Then you have to RMB on the key you just added and choose modify and change the Value Data from 0 to 1. Then exit from the registry editor, restart Soldiworks and the dimension pallett is gone.

Stephen Burke

Vajrang Parvate: Thank you.

Larry Burton
                                          I used "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks\SolidWorks 2010\Dimensions\14504(DWORD)=1", to remove the pallet, but it also removed my mate pallet. So I went back and changed it to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks\SolidWorks 2010\Dimensions\14504(DWORD)=0", which should turn it back on, but it didn't. I then deleted the key and it didn't come back. I made sure SW was not running when I made the registry change. I even went back and tried the zip files in case I mistyped something, but no luck.

How do I get it back, I miss the mate pallet and want it back!

Tom Helsley

Mate Pallette?  Do you mean the View mates" window (below)?

View Mates.png

I don't think that's what you're asking about, but I can't think of anything else.  Maybe this will help:

As stated elswhere in the discussion, if you are using  SP3.0 that registry key isn't used any more.  What SP are you using, Larry?  Are you using SP3.0?  If so, then change the setting: Customize -> Toolbars -> Context toolbar settings -> Show on selection.  If it is turned on, then the pallete should appear on selection.

David Demaria

I submitted this as an ER some time back (user control over DP) and recently got a reply indicating it has been implemented for SW2011. Although I cant find the email now, others may be able to validate this. My PC housekeeping is atrocious.

• Re: Found It !
                                              David Demaria

Dear David,

The following SPR (SolidWorks Performance Report) status has changed to Implemented.

SR# (Service Request): 1-1490677576

VAR SR#:

SPR#: 524620

Description: Ability to disable the Dimension Palette

Version: 2011 A1

For more information, visit the VAR Resource Center and select Service Requests (SRs) or Knowledge Base (SPRs).

Best Regards,

Dassault Systèmes SolidWorks Corp. Technical Support

Ali McCartney
                                                  Thanks David for the info.  It's great to see they do take some notice of what users want.
                                                      Matthew Lorono

Rocksolid covered this topic last week or so, and I'm covering at SolidWorks Legion this week.  It is definately getting attention.  I'm just affaid SW is going to stop short of coming up with a solution that really makes this useful to the people it is currently annoying.  That's why this registry solution scares me.  It's not that it's the registry, it's that they are simply going to provide a hard to reach on/off toggle and then drop any further UI functional improvements: http://www.fcsuper.com/swblog/?p=914

Matt Lorono

SolidWorks Legion

Twitter: fcsuper

Wayne Tiffany

Just to throw something out here.  I talked with some SW folks at SWW and I can say that they are interested in providing a better solution to the Dim Palette being in the way.  I don't know for sure what we will see, but I do know they do not want to just bury this issue.  I believe there is hope here.

WT

Tom Spine

Matt,

Today I replied in the comments to your SolidWorks Legion post, as well as in the comments to the Rocksolid Perspective post.

I appreciate what you are saying regarding your fear that we are "going to stop short of coming up with a solution that really makes this useful..." In fact, although we have released the temporary registry fix because of the volume of complaints, we have tried really hard to come up with a longer term solution that addresses the heart of the usability issues with the Dimension Palette - the fact that it was coming up, in your way, when you didn't want it. My goal was to really make it useful.

I have had several discussion forum members respond to my earlier posts asking for people to spend time giving us hands-on feedback to our fixes to the Dimension Palette. These folks all got to use the new design in a development build of SolidWorks via a web conference, and all got to give us direct feedback. We made several iterative changes to the design based directly on their feedback. I also conducted hands-on usability testing of the final design at SolidWorks World. Based on the feedback from those who have used the new design, I am confident in the changes we have made and that you will all soon see.

At this point, let me give a plug for our usability testing program. In addition to the more traditional beta testing, we constantly run smaller, more focused usability tests on features under development. Typically, these take an hour or less, and they can be conducted right from your office – we use the phone, and web conferencing software. Often, we will run development builds of the software here on our local machines, but give you mouse and keyboard input so that you can have “hands on” experience, and tell us directly what you like, and what you don’t like. We run these sessions all year around. One of the best ways to ensure that nothing like the “dimension palette fiasco” (Jason’s words from the Rocksolid Perspective post) ever happens again is your participation. Do you have time to spend a half-hour or an hour, maybe once or twice a year, giving us direct feedback on features under development? Want to give us input even before beta? That’s the purpose of the usability testing program. If you go to http://www.solidworks.com/usability you will find a link to a short survey for signing up.

Thanks.

Tom Spine

SolidWorks User Experience

Jeff Holliday

I sat in on one of the useabilty sessions Tom is referring to and I agree that the problem is not just being "burried". There will be some improvements coming. Unfortunately, I suspect that no improvement will ever make every SWorks user completely satisfied. Let's take a rational look at the next improvements and stay "constructive" with the comments.

• Re: Dimension Pallet & Rapid Dim Manipulator
                                                                    John Lhuillier

The new method in SP3 EV for the dimension pallett is a lot better than what it was. I still think an option to disable it completey should be given to those that don't like to have things popping up on the screen.

Is anything being looked at to disable the "Rapid Dimension" manipulative PITFA pie circle that is more annoying than the dimension pallet was.

Tom Helsley

John, can you post a picture of the dim pallette in SP3?  Do you press any keys or something?  I tested the version that was released last week, but I haven't tested the new one yet.   I'm installing the new one today.  Anyway nothing popped up for me.  I looked all over.

Regarding the "Rapid Dimension" pie, there is a registry key that can turn it on and off.  It is in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks\SolidWorks 2010\Dimensions", but it's naming is straight forward, not some meaningless name.  I tried changing it and it works.  [throw in "edit registry at own risk disclaimer" here]

Tom Spine

I have been waiting for SP3 to be available to everyone before discussing this in depth, but seeing as how the word is coming out with SP3 EV...

Starting in SP3, the Dimension Palette will no longer pop up automatically when you select one or more dimensions. Instead, a toolbar with a single button is displayed. Much like other popup toolbars throughout SolidWorks, it appears up and to the right of the mouse pointer (subject to window boundary conditions), and it is semi-transparent. It looks like this:

4-14-2010 1-09-57 PM.png

The Dimension Palette is displayed only if you move your mouse pointer into that single button popup toolbar. This does not require a mouse click. Rather the Dimension Palette is displayed when the pointer enters the single button popup toolbar. The location of the lower right left corner of the Dimension Palette corresponds to the lower right left corner of the toolbar - that is, it is as if the palette "grows" up and to the right from the toolbar button. (Easier seen than written about!)

If you do not want even this toolbar, it obeys the existing Tools > Customize > "Show on selection" Context toolbar setting. Turn this checkbox off, as shown circled in red below, to turn off all popup toolbars:

4-14-2010 1-23-38 PM.png

As for the Rapid Dimension Manipulator, as Tom Helsley has already discovered, we have implemented a temporary registry setting that will turn it off completely. As he indicated, this setting is at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks\SolidWorks 2010\Dimensions, and it is the Show Rapid Dimensioning Manipulator key. Setting it to 0 (zero) will turn it off. For those who don't want to edit their registry directly, I have created two .reg files (one that will turn it off and one to turn it back on) and they are in the attached zip file. To use these,

1) Make sure SolidWorks is not running.

2) Double click the desired registry file ("off" to disable or "on" to enable) - or right click and choose "Merge"

3) Click Yes and then OK to the messages to load the setting into the registry.

4) Start up SolidWorks.

The setting will stay in effect until you run the opposite one (i.e. you only have to run the "off" one once if want to turn the Rapid Dim Manipulator off for good). The Rapid Dim registry setting is a temporary measure as we work on a better and permanent fix to the Rapid Dim usability issues. (Future hint: I think we've hit upon a solution that you will really like, but it just wasn't ready in time for SP3.)

I sincerely hope the changes you see in SP3 for the Dim Palette meet your needs and expectations. I am eager for it to be widely distributed, and for your feedback once you have given it a try.

--Tom

Message was edited by: Tom Spine, since I clearly cannot distinguish my lower lefts from my lower rights! :-)

Vajrang Parvate

Hi All,

The registry key controlling the rapid dim manipulator was added in 2010 SP03 in preparation of functional enhancements we're currently working on. We were not planning to make the registry key public at this time, so the use of the key did not go through our full QA testing matrix.

Since the cat is out of the bag, I feel it would be only fair to warn users who might use this key in 2010 SP03:

We recently discovered that if the registry key is used to turn off the manipulator, creating a chamfer dimension manually in a drawing will crash SolidWorks.

SP03 is almost out the door at this point so we're unable to provide a fix in SP03 for this crash, so I'd recommend not using this key to turn off the rapid dim widget in SP03.

Regards,

Vajrang.

Glenn Schroeder
                                                                          I am a relatively new SolidWorks user and not an engineer, so 90% of the discussions on this forum are way over my head, but I just had a thought.  The only thing I like about the dimension pallet is that it is so much easier to add text to dimensions with the text boxes above, below, left and right of the dimension, so what about putting those boxes in the command manager?
                                                                          • Re: Dimension Palette
                                                                            Tom Helsley

Thanks for the info, Tom.  Your efforts are appreciated.

When I beta tested the design palette, I liked how it brought a lot of the buttons closer to my cursor as I was working, but when I actually started working in a production environment, I realized that it got in my way (caused me to click on things I didn't intend to).  If you can figure out how to smooth out that problem, then I'll give the dimension palette a try again. 

There was one other thing about the Dim Palette that I thought could use some improvement.  The text box being separated into boxes for top, left, right, bottom, etc. of dimension text requires too much mousing if you have to put additional text in more than one place of a dimension.  It reminded my of the old edit dimension boxes from several years ago.

Cheers!

Rob Jensen

I've done a few usability tests over the web and I think they are great.

I apologize for coming in late on this but I just installed 2010 to all my users (25ish) and the first thing they said was "How do I turn this s%$t off?"

I like new functionality and think this is a great tool, but it sure can be improved on.

The issues we are having are the same as all the rest that have posted here.  The box pops up and gets in the way, etc.

We also import dimensions so all of our GD & T is applied at the part/assembly level. It would be nice if you could use the Rapid Dimension tool on imported dimensions.  The Rapid Dimension also gets in the way.  If you have a small feature that needs detailing those half-circles are a PITA.

Simon Knibbs

Hi All

Just a quick though we found if you hold down the shift key whilst adding dimensions it does not appear.

We are not sure if this is designed funtionality but its good, btw its much improved in SP3

Paul Mihala

Those half circles are definately the worst for dimensioning smaller detail. It forces you to zoom right in on the area you're dimensioning.

Although they can dimension very quickly if you set up your distances so they are helpful in a way.

It just needs to have the option of turning it off. Something that obscures your view like this should always have the option to turn off.

Alexander Holweg

Please can somebody deinitively tell me if  there is a way now in SP4.0 to turn this 'dimension pallete' off without heaving to hack the registry?