AnsweredAssumed Answered

Instance of a component pattern changing to something different on its own

Question asked by Andy Sanders on Jan 10, 2017
Latest reply on Dec 12, 2019 by Andy Sanders

Solidworks 2016 SP5 on Win10 64 Bit

Has anyone experienced a instance of a derived component pattern changing itself to a different config other than the seed component on its own?

I and other users here have seen this multiple times lately.  In my screenshot below, I know for a fact that I did not change this screw.  I had no reason to at all.  But this morning I was working with this sub-assembly and all of a sudden I saw this tiny screw among the others.

When I checked the instance's config specific properties, it has changed to "Use named configuration" and picked an M3 screw.

This is not the first time this has happened.  At first I thought others, then myself had accidentally changed this instance (not picking the seed component).  But I had no reason whatsoever to change this screw and it's changed.  Matter of fact I had only had the assembly opened for about an hour and it was fine when I opened it.

The obvious danger here is a component instance would change to something wrong and missed.  A BOM could be generated with a bad config showing.  It could be a much more expensive mistake than a simple screw.

Anyone have an idea what might be triggering this behavior?

component pattern not behaving.jpg

Outcomes