While experimenting with the 'Extract Machinable Features'(EXMF), 2.5 axis and Multi-Surface tools, I ran into trouble with getting Solidworks to recognize a webbed boss. The EXMF tool only recognized the holes on the top of the part. When I used the 2.5 axis tool I used the 'convert to loop' selection tool which gave me a boss minus the 2 angles on the "fingers" of the the boss. That made sense and was close to what I was looking for.
So I then used the the Multi-Surface tool to see if I could get the boss with the two angles. With the selection tools provided, I found it difficult to select the boss without selecting each individual surface. When I tried the window select tool, I was only able to get some of the surfaces and I accidentally selected lettering on the bottom side which had a bunch of surfaces. I tried to 'window-deselect' all the surfaces making up the words and was unable to do so.
Is there an easier way to select features that I am missing?
I am new to CAM in Solidworks so if the solution is there, hopefully the solution isn't too painfully obvious.
If not, I've got some ideas.
- selection box that works the same as in the rest of Solidworks.
- Blue box- only select surfaces completely in the box, Green box- select all surfaces touching the box
- ctrl-window to add surfaces to the list, ctrl-window over selected surfaces to deselect them.
- use chain selection similar to 2.5 axis feature tool to create a general boss, then select surfaces to "cut away" at that generic boss to get desired feature
- select all surfaces above/below a selected chain
- checkbox for only selecting visible surfaces (so surfaces on the bottom of the part don't get accidentally selected)